Author Topic: Will of Joseph Redding (1784-1858).  (Read 1686 times)

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Joseph Redding (1784-1858).
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find out how I can order the Will of a Joseph Redding who died in Northchurch Hertfordshire 09/02/1858. I have traced the National Probate Record relating to his death but,some years ago,remember contacting someone who had a copy of his Will & who gave me some details from it. I would now like to order it myself but have been unable to trace it via the HALS database. Does anyone know where else I could order it from?

Regards

Coreen       

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Joseph Redding (1784-1858).
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
Probate after January 1858 was transferred to the civil courts, rather than the church courts who had administered it up until then. HALS only hold the probate records up until January 1858 that were administered by the church courts. To obtain copies of wills proved after January 1858 you need to contact HM Courts and Tribunals Service, who operate a postal search service from their Leeds Registry: https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

It is helpful if you know the date probate was granted and the court which granted it, which is listed in probate and administration calendars, many of which are now viewable online on Ancestry. When I've ordered copy wills from HM Courts and Tribunals it has taken a few weeks to come.
Good luck.
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran