Author Topic: Birth Registration Entry: Notes  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Woody033

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Registration Entry: Notes
« on: Saturday 13 October 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
I have just downloaded a birth registration certificate made out at Ettrick dated March 1st 1868. There is a handwritten note in the left-hand margin that reads:-

Dec. of Paternity See. "Reg. of Coz." Ent. Vol. 1 p.15 Nov 7th 1870

This was an illegitimate birth and I'm assuming the note indicates a different record that will comment on the child's paternity.

The mother was Christina Pringle who migrated with her child to New South Wales, Australia in 1883 and I would be interested to learn what the note means, and whether there's any way of checking the record to which it refers.
Shankie and Pringle, Ettrick
Stoddart, Selkirk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Registration Entry: Notes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 12 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi , and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Think this will be the Register of Corrected Entries(RCE's)

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?1314

If you read through the content there should be something about clicking on a red button to view the RCE , that will cost 2 credits

Hope this helps

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Woody033

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Registration Entry: Notes *completed*
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi ev

Many thanks indeed for the speedy response. Your instructions were prefect and  I found the information to which you directed me exactly where you said it would be.

I now know who the child's father was and that the mother, Christina Pringle, pursued him through the Sheriff Court to a judgement in her favour, unlikely to be the easiest path for a woman to follow in those days.

That's another significant piece of my family jigsaw now in place so thanks again.

Woody033

Shankie and Pringle, Ettrick
Stoddart, Selkirk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Registration Entry: Notes
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
Glad you found what you were looking for Woody033  :)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records