Author Topic: what is a rough rider, please?  (Read 657 times)

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
what is a rough rider, please?
« on: Tuesday 18 March 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have an Alfred Ernest Leonard who survived WW1.  I can't find any records for him  BUT I did find a small piece on him written in a Bridlington Newspaper dated 15th October 1914.  It said "50 men had volunteered to join the remount and rough rider section of the Army Medical Corp" and continued to name the men.  From another Bridlington internet source I found the following information B.F.P:768 Shoesmith.
My questions are:- What is a rough rider and did they serve here or abroad?
                             What does B.F.P. stand for?
The newspaper said the men sang 'It's a long way to Tipperary as they walked to the station for the train to Woolwich.

Thank you in anticipation
Louise

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: what is a rough rider, please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 17:57 GMT (UK) »
this may explain  a little
http://www.ltvas.org.uk/shop/page/36?shop_param=   

.....BFP........something  farrier  private ?    im sure one of the military experts will be along to shoot me down in flames   ;D
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 21:38 GMT (UK) »
hi louise
can you tell us what the Bridlington source is for the info regarding bfp 768 shoesmith only I,ve looked at numerous army abbreviations and can,t find that one .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 14 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Is it this site?
www.cwgcuser.org.uk/brid/bridrohl.htm

I think the BFP is an abbreviation used by the site to identify the source of the info...

They also use SDitGW (Soldiers Died in Great War) and CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission).

And other abbreviations.  What BFP stands for I can't tell as there is no list of abbreviations on the site.

The number 768 after BFP appears to refer to the BFP reference rather than being an army number for the soldier himself

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline twilight

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 March 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Could it be "Bridlington Free Press" ?
Miles; Middlesex
Dixon; Northumberland
Scott: Perthshire & Lancashire
Cooper; Middlesex
Colston, Richards; Dorset
Phillips, Pearce, Fudge, Tucker, Trayes; Devon, Dorset & Hampshire

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 March 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everybody who replied.  I am so sorry that I have been so tardy in replying.  I put the post on-line and then had a little family trauma and I haven't been on line since.

I have visited Bridlington and read some of the Bridlington Free Press for that period, it is where I found the entry saying he was a Rough Rider.  I will go back sometime in the summer and see if I can find the entry saying he is a shoesmith.  That may give me some more information on him. 
Thanks once again for replying
Louise