Author Topic: Re: searching for info on WW1 soldier.Norman Schroeder / Norman Walters  (Read 884 times)

Offline jojo1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have been looking for any record of my grandfather and his service during WW1.  We know he worked down the mines in Wales (don't know which mine!) for a time with at least 2 of his brothers and then was 'invited' to join up and enlisted in the South Wales Borderers.  We also know he was wounded and ended up in a German hospital before being put in a POW camp - again don't know which.  His name was Norman Schroeder but enlisted under Norman Walters (we think because of his german surname) and his number was 33122.  If anyone can help point me in any direct that may help I would be most grateful.  I assume his service records have been destroyed during WW11 because nothing has been found.  Many thanks

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: searching for info on WW1 soldier.Norman Schroeder / Norman Walters
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for any record of my grandfather and his service during WW1.  We know he worked down the mines in Wales (don't know which mine!) for a time with at least 2 of his brothers and then was 'invited' to join up and enlisted in the South Wales Borderers.  We also know he was wounded and ended up in a German hospital before being put in a POW camp - again don't know which.  His name was Norman Schroeder but enlisted under Norman Walters (we think because of his german surname) and his number was 33122.  If anyone can help point me in any direct that may help I would be most grateful.  I assume his service records have been destroyed during WW11 because nothing has been found.  Many thanks

There is a medal card for him on Ancestry.

Regards

Malky

Offline jojo1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: searching for info on WW1 soldier.Norman Schroeder / Norman Walters
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malky, I have purchased his medal card but it didn't contain very much information.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: searching for info on WW1 soldier. Norman Schroeder / Norman Walters
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 April 14 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jojo

I have moved your question to a topic of its own in case anyone can add any more info

Milly (Armed Forces Moderator)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk