Author Topic: Campbell Paterson  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell Paterson
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 January 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

I have located Campbell Paterson's death.

He died in St. Lawrence on 12th Aug 1927. He was aged 76 years and his occupation was given as "ci-devant fabricant de cafe" (not sure what the ci-devant means but devant means before). He died from "embolic coronaire et arterio selerose". The death was reported by Sarah Paterson.

Now, there is an Occupation Registration card at Jersey Archive for a Sarah Paterson, née Cashmore, of Roselea, Millbrook, St Lawrence, born 25/03/1892. This obviously wasn't his daughter but could be his daughter-in-law. There again it could be someone completely different!

As for the monument at Fisherman's Chapel, I have been there and cannot find anything. The sexton did a search of burial records and again there is nothing. There are no plaques in the Church with that name. It was only when I was driving back that I though about the Church silver. Something for another time. But why St. Brelade if he died in St. Lawrence!!

Stewart

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 January 14 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Stewart, that is great. I am really grateful to you for going to so much trouble.

Curious that there's nothing in the chapel, when the chapel's own web site says there is something!

Ci-devant just means 'formerly' or 'previously' which fits with him having retired and handed over the business to his sons.

I found an advertisement when the company went public in 1952, saying that the original company was converted into a private limited liability company in 1909 with Campbell and his two sons as directors. This could be when he started to draw back from direct involvement.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Are you still here??

Stewart

Offline vouvray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 August 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
Good morning

Was he married to Sarah Cashmore?

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 August 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Vouvray

Yes, he was. He was 72 when he married and she was 31 !! Although they married in Jersey, they gave their domicile as Victoria, British Colombia. The writing is difficult to read but I think she came from Belford, Northumberland and was the daughter of Samuel Cashmore, occupation unreadable (but something maker).

I have located CP's grave (only took me 5 years).

Stewart

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 August 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Are you still here??

Stewart
If that's addressed to me, I am not Mike, but I am still here, but I have only just found your post as I lost my notifications for a while.

I am all agog to see what else you have found!

Campbell Paterson and Sarah Cashmore travelled together to Canada in 1920. His wife died on 9 September 1923, so it looks as if they got married as soon as he was free to do so.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 August 19 20:01 BST (UK) »
Where on earth did  I get "Mike" from??  ??? ???

After over 5 years, I have found the grave and have photos!!

If you want to PM me with your email address, I will send them to you.

Stewart

Offline themayneman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 April 20 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart, I notice you found the grave of Campbell Paterson and had a photo.  Please could I have a copy and details of where you found it?  I'm researching for a piece about Camp Coffee.  Thank you in anticipation.  Regards, Gary
PS I was trying to work out how to PM you but couldn't!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 April 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
You need to make another post, or 2, to get access to the PM system ;D

It's to deter spammers, and other nasty people! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)