Author Topic: Edward Giles Jones, Lambeth  (Read 1420 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Giles Jones, Lambeth
« on: Thursday 24 July 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for information about an Edward Giles Jones (1779-1823) who was (I presume) born in Corwen, later a teacher in Birmingham and finally lived at Canterbury Place, Lambeth, where he was a 'Gentleman'.

I found him through an advert by his solicitors in the Chester Courant (6/4/1824) looking for his brother 'Thomas Jones, late of Corwen', who was born in Tre'rddol, Corwen, ca.1770, apprenticed to a tanner/breechs-maker, and served in the army, was last at Corwen about 9 years ago (so ca. 1816), and hasn't been seen since.

I have a very similar Thomas Jones but b.ca.1776 same place, cordwainer (=tanner?) who served in the army, left in 1817, and then lived in Chester all his life - except for returning to Corwen about 1826 where his youngest child was born (perhaps because of brothers death?), then moving back to Chester.

I'm hoping I can find out more about Edward Giles Jones and find out if he was my Thomas Jones' brother!! - I have the former's will, proved 1827 where he leaves everything to Charles Wright of Fenchurch Street, London, and George Curle(?) his kinsman who lives with him. It's puzzling in itself why his solicitors would need to advertise if he wasn't left anything anyway! The full text of the will has been deciphered over in the deciphering forums, and my thanks to Alexander for that!

I have the parish registers for Corwen and there aren't any obvious candidates for him - I think perhaps he assumed the middle name 'Giles' later! Any help would be really appreciated!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Giles Jones, Lambeth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A cordwainer is a shoe maker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordwainer

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 July 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
Moved to the General board as several places are mentioned in the topic
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 July 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
Dawnsh,
Thanks for moving it!

Nanny,
Thanks for your reply! As theyre all in the leather-industry (shoemaking and tanner) I wonder if it could be the same Thomas Jones.

The biggest thing that makes me wonder if its the same person is that hes born in 1770, and the Thomas Jones I have is born about 1776 (on his military record even later 1780).