Author Topic: California gold miners  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
California gold miners
« on: Monday 17 February 14 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding names/lists of people who travelled from the east coast of America to the gold fields of California, please?

Thank you
James

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: California gold miners
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 February 14 07:09 GMT (UK) »
hi there.....

interesting question.....

heres a pdf worth reading and some of the government departments contained within , if contacted may be able to assist you>>>

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wo/MINERALS__REALTY__AND_RESOURCE_PROTECTION_/energy.Par.28664.File.dat/MiningClaims.pdf

miners and immigrants to the California Goldfields also came from Australia........ and most were an unruly lot probably not really interested in the form filling process but  most would have had to get a miners permit of some sort........ whether the master books still exist or not is questionable.

Old post office directories and advertising materials such as newspapers would have some info about the miners...........   

others will know more but this should be an interesting post.........as others contribute

:)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 February 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Not what you are looking for,
The 1852 California State Census as to who was in California then.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Carlisle43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 03:42 BST (UK) »
There is a partial list that was published from newspaper extracts (I think), entitled:  "California Wagon Train Lists:  Vol. 1, April 5, 1849, to Oct. 20, 1852" compiled by Louis J. Rasmussen in 1994, which covers the time period of the Gold Rush.  It has 327 pages but I very much doubt that it is complete.  No other volume was published and the gentleman is long dead.  Most of the wagon trains would have departed from Independence, Missouri which is not on the East Coast; but people from the east who had river transport via the Ohio River may very well have chosen to go to California by land, by going to Missouri first and leaving from there.  You might want to look at the website of the Oregon-California Trails Association also; there appears to be a database of overland diaries.

Beyond that, many "Forty-Niners" came by ship from the East Coast, as well as from many other ports all over the world.  Some came around the southern tip of South America; others got off on the east coast of Nicaragua or Panama and trekked across the isthmus by foot, by mule or donkey train, or perhaps by rail if that existed; then they boarded ships on the west coast that were sailing north to San Francisco.  Mr. Rasmussen also undertook a four-volume set called "San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists" publication of which began in 1970, but if memory serves me, it was for a later time period and did not cover the Gold Rush.  I am quite sure there is no other Gold Rush ship passenger compilation; the arrivals at San Francisco were truly chaotic and I am sure nobody was keeping track; California had only recently become a state and there was no immigration station.

If you are looking for a specific name, the 1852 state census of California is worth having a look at, as many miners who hadn't yet given up were still there.  That census is available on Ancestry, but be aware that schedules for a few counties no longer exist.

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Carlisle43 for your time and help - it looks like a brick wall.
Cheers
James

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 May 14 01:20 BST (UK) »
it seems we all are having some brickwalls with some aspects of early "settlement", and I have found it difficult getting more info regarding the Carson Expedition for which one of my Shergolds was involved ... and documented as breaking is leg thus being left behind on the trail.......

I found regarding the goldfields however that I was seeing information pop out in books such as Frank Clunes "Ben Hall" where the author discussed the action of one of the bushrangers, but again offered no real proof of documentation.   

Without stating the obvious , have you contacted any of the Caifornia libraries , to see what historical collections may be lurking , or even the Library of Congress.     I am not certain but would the US taxation system have historical documents (which may be more overall assessment ,but have individual materials???)    ?
I had a scout around some early american law books I had but only found references to the Fires and earthquakes in regards to insurance claims.    There were some notable murder cases also mentioned but not much detail was forth coming.
I was having a conversation about the post to one of my friends recently ,and of all the darnest things said in reply ....... have you contacted the Libraries and archives in Mexico.......   which may be an wildcard of remoteness for material but they may have some information regarding the gold rush period overlooked by US researchers......?

some food for thoughts..... good luck   :)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions re the difficulty I am experiencing concerning my ancestor's participation in the California gold rush (he went over from Massachusetts - Glispin, by name) - indeed, food for thought, and I will follow up - cheers.
Regards
James
Queensland.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 May 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
I'm of no help regarding how he arrived in California, but if you haven't well-documented his time in California, I can have a look around for you.  I may not find anything at all, but I do enjoy looking at the California documents for that time frame.  Have you been able to narrow down his arrival in California?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 May 14 21:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Lisa in California,

Thank you for your interest and kind offer to help ................
My main query has to do with Patrick Parker Glispin and a secondary one is Michael Crowley, his uncle.

Patrick Parker Glispin b. 1833 Dublin d. 1897 (Groveland, MA)
Patrick is found in the 1850 Federal and 1855 Leicester, Massachusetts State Censuses. In the latter he is with his widowed mother, aged 22 years.

Research shows Patrick missing from the 1860 US Federal Census in Massachusetts and no registration can be found for him, anywhere, in that US census year. His absence might well support the assumption that he left for the California Goldfields sometime after 1855.
We have no information as to when, exactly, Patrick arrived in California  and, in time, he enlisted in the Union army there. Patrick's enlistment papers for the California Volunteer 9th Infantry  has him joining 14 March 1864 - which is about 14 months before the end of the Civil War (1861-1865).
At the conclusion of the War, Patrick continued to serve as a soldier, with the rank of Corporal, until 1867. The regiment remained on duty at posts near San Francisco, and performed provost guard duty in the city until late in 1865, when parts of the regiment were distributed to California, Oregon and Nevada during the so called Snake War (1864-68).

Michael Crowley b. 1815 d. 1882 (Lowell MA). Research shows that Michael Crowley was not present in the Crowley household at the time of the 1850 US Federal New Hampshire Census - his wife Mary and the children were, but not Michael - and no registration can be found for him, anywhere, in that US census year. Although there is no mention of him in the 1850 San Francisco Census, his absence might well support the family assumption that he left for the California Goldfields in 1849.

Thanks again, very much - here's hoping ............

James
Queensland.