Author Topic: Sonya Allen - Lady of the Lions  (Read 8778 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sonya Allen - Lady of the Lions
« on: Tuesday 09 December 08 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
This is a bit of a long shot ?
Bertha Richards was born Alveley, Shropshire  abt 1904 daughter of Herbert Richards
By the 1930's / 1940's she had changed her name to -
Sonya Allen " Lady of the Lions" at Chipperfields Circus.
She may have been married to someone named Tommy ? and had a daughter named Elizabeth.

Sonya Bertha Allen died in the Windsor/Maidenhead area in June 1986

Ring any bells with any one ? :) :) :) :)
Any help much appreciated

Offline Daphnestar

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sonya Allen - Lady of the Lions
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I know you posted this ages ago, but I've just started researching my family tree, (probably because I'm due to have my first child in September) and Bertha Richards appears as my great grandmother's sister. 

Bertha was the daughter of my great, great grandparents, Annie Louisa and Herbert Richards.  She married someone called Victor, whom I assume went by the stage name of Tommy Allen.  Bertha became Sonya Allen, The Lady of the Lions.  They had a daughter called Betty, who also appeared in the show with chimpanzees.

See http://www.hungerfordvirtualmuseum.co.uk/People/Entertainers/Lady_of_Lions/lady_of_lions.html for more information and images.

I hope this helps a little.

Best wishes,

Katy

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Katy....I have lots and lots of Richards family photo's and I'm touch with the Richards family
I used to live just around the corner from them in Alveley !
Which of the brothers and sisters are you descended from ?
Please get in touch  :) :) :)

Offline Dianees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 September 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Bertha Richards was my great aunty. She was the partner of my great uncle, Thomas Victor Allen (known as Tommy), they in fact, did not marry, although Bertha did use the name Allen. Tommy Allen was my grandmother's youngest brother and they originated from Nothampton, he was already married to a french lady and had a daughter, Vicky when he met Bertha. I,as a child, regularily use to stay with Uncle Victor (Tommy) and Bertha in Hungerford, and once stayed in the alligator's cage !! (not with them in it thankfully ! ) and I used to go with my grandmother to visit them in their fairshow when they kept large snakes.
Betty Allen, their daughter, died a few years ago and was in our local hospital in Kettering when she became ill. She had been staying with my mother at the time. Although my mother has a few photographs of them, I would appreciate any further information if you have any.

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Dianees,
Thank you so much for getting in touch.
Bertha was born in a small village in Shropshire called Alveley, and left her family aged 16/17 to join the circus !
I have lots of information on Bertha and her family, and would be very happy to swap information with you.
I  am also in touch with members of the Richards family (and have photo's of many of them)

Look forward to hearing from you  :) :) :)

Offline Dianees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 September 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some photographs/info of Bertha and her parents/siblings. Thank you   :)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some photographs/info of Bertha and her parents/siblings. Thank you   :)

Hi there,
Here is a photo..I will also send you a pm.
You may also be interested in my alveley history facebook page, which show the village Bertha came from - search for 'Alveley Family History' on facebook

Offline spd123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 November 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I know it has been a couple of years since this was posted but is anyone still looking for information on Sonya Allen or has anyone got any information on Sonya Allen as I was helping my Grandmother look at our family tree and we are related to her husband Victor so would appreciate any more information. We live in Northampton and would be happy to swap photographs and information etc

Thank you

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I know it has been a couple of years since this was posted but is anyone still looking for information on Sonya Allen or has anyone got any information on Sonya Allen as I was helping my Grandmother look at our family tree and we are related to her husband Victor so would appreciate any more information. We live in Northampton and would be happy to swap photographs and information etc

Thank you

Hi there...nice to hear from you..I have quite a bit of info and would be very happy to swap, please get in touch, I will send you a private message.