Author Topic: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915  (Read 12856 times)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Yes Monica my dads first name was kept.
Looked at my aunts marriage cert.maiden name same as David &Rachels ,my aunt died in Australia in 2000 where she stayed with her daughter she is also gone.
It is her son and i thats trying to find all this information,it has been a very exciting journey for us both,i have sugested that he writes to Australia for her death cert,but we both feel that it will be her step parents name thats on it...its no easy..I do not know if i am aloud to put names on the forum? :)
David i knew very well loved him very much,Rachel died before i was born..

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:48 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you're both having a journey...and wonderful that you are both there doing it together.

You can mention your aunt's name here on RC given you have confirmed that she has passed away. There is only an issue with discussing living people here on RC (in order to protect living people's privacy etc).

I have been looking here on Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?624 trying to refresh my mind on the issue of GROS reference numbers.  There were only 22 baby girls born in Ferry Port on Craig in 1915, so all the births show on one page of the indexed search results.

The main ref on the page I am looking at for Ferry Port on Craig births in 1915 is 429/00 and then a four number set, so I am wondering if we can get some clues on when in the year they were born. From the sequence showing, there looks to be entries from 0005 to 0049. It is an imprecise science for now as you would need to double check any possibilities against the actual image.

If you can tell me her name (and any middle name she may have used) I will have a look on the page of results I have.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Ethel Edna or Ethel Edwina.
David and Rachel Surname Connelly,
Thanks Monica my cousin lives up north from me and is not computer minded,but loves it when i come up with some news,his mum Ethel is the only one we are stuck on. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
Can't see any Ethel birth in 1914-16 in Ferry Port on Craig unfortunately  :-\ There are Ethel births in the rest of Fife, but none with a middle name of Ed*na (using the wildcard to pick up on spelling variations).

Tried also just searching just for Ed*na. Again nothing in Ferry Port on Craig, with a few possibilities just going by first name in the rest of Fife.

Assuming that Ethel remembered (or knew?) her birth date correctly, at the moment you have to think that her first name registration was either just Ethel or Ed*na, and she may have been born outside of Tayport. Did David and Rachel live in Tayport at the time?

The names Ethel and Edna/Edwina are not particularly Scottish are they.

Hard to do this online when you need to be viewing the actual records in Scotland at a terminal  :-\

Monica

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
Yes Monica,it is a difficult one.
David and Rachel came from north ireland after 1901,they were in Greenock in 1906 where there only blood child was born,Rachel had a child before she married David the child was given the Connelly name after they married,then in 1908 they had another child (in the 1911 census it says adopted) his name Ronald Weighill born in LEEDS..mothers name Eva...the child died in 1913 David described as his guardian.by this time they were in Fife,my dad was born on Nov 14 1914,then Ethel they were in Cupar in 1915 but gone from there by 1917 valuation roll,they really moved around as farm workers did.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
Just every so often you find details of someone's children on their war service papers, in this case WW1 for David. This can include dates of birth and birth locations etc.

Have you tried looking at this area? Not always successful as many service papers were destroyed by a bom//fire during WW2. What year was David born (assume in Ireland from what you said)?

Monica

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Reading your puzzle with interest Shelly and as Monica says there's nothing the great members of Rootschat like better than a good old mystery.
Can I ask did your Aunt Ethel live in Australia for a long time - I mean did she emigrate there in as a young woman (before passports would be required) or did she go as an older woman?
Looby :)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   she did not emigrate to Australia she went to stay for holidays with her daughter after her 2nd husband died in 1975,she stayed with my parents untill my dad (her step brother) died in 1987..Blimey confusing eh? :)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 April 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Looby many thanks,hope you still find my mystery interesting tomorrow,dinner time for me ..many thanks :)