Author Topic: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle  (Read 59189 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyre: Arran/Holy Isle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 05 19:05 BST (UK) »
Had a thought (beginner's luck) that the picture is more likely my gt grandfather's smack, used to convey stone from Arran to the mainland and goods on the return route.

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 August 05 00:55 BST (UK) »
Just rechecked the picture, it looks like the name of the was smack was 'Glen Sannox'. Built at Adrossan in 1878, 40ft long and traded out of Arran villages until the 1920s. Does that sound about right.
Yoric :)
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 August 05 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Yoric and hello to my very distant cousin ;D. I'm assuming the John McIntyre we have in common was married to janet taylor. I'm descended thru His son john and his son John...kinda goes on doesn't it 8). My grandfather and his brother plus parents emigrated to Canada and became successful ranchers(sheep-what else would a scotsman do.. ;D) Interestingly, his parents went back to Scotland in the 1950's.
If your interested the museum on Arran has in it's posession the McIntyre family bible which was donated by a cousin who's now retired on Arran. My father has an oil painting of the home on the holy isle as it looked when the family owned it. It was done by Isabel McIntyre around 1921. I've taken a picture of it, so if you'd like me to send a copy, please email me as I'd be interested to see what you've uncovered. I do believe there is a picture in a London Museum that shows a relative who was a ships master standing at the helm in Glasgow I think.
The names of the children that I have for John & Janet are: John,  Anna & Maria.
John's Parents name was James & Catharine McIntyre nee Currie. Janet's parents were named William taylor & Margaret Baird.
John was born Nov. 15th, 1828 Janet March 3rd, 1831 in Ochiltree-she died on August 24th 1894.
Alot of the info I've found was on the www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I spent some time looking for the book on the web and only the amazon uk site has it as it's a rare book so they say. fortunately , ive inlaws in the london area, so maybe they can help. My problem is I live on the west coast of canada so getting over to buy it isn't an option for me right now.

Please email me @ Moderator Comment:email address removed to avoid spam. Please use Personal Message System to share email addresses. Thank You.
Marc

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 05 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Marc,
Nice to hear from you. The John McIntyre (Born 1828), my wife has got in her family tree had 11 children comprising of 9 Daughters and 2 Sons. My wifes grandmother is scribing everything she can recall of their names and as yet only given me 4 of the daughters names: Catherine, Anna, Maria and Violet. This does tie in with 2 of the names you supplied I will let you know of any further updates. By the way my wife is descended via Catherine McIntyre as follows:
Catherine McIntyre B:1858/ D: Aug 16th 1941 married John Montgomery B:1852/ D: Sep 26th 1938.
Their daughter Catherine Montgomery married Rodden Middleton (No dates available as yet) they had 3 children Joan (B: Nov 5th 1926), Rodney and David Middleton.
Joan married Charles Pellow had 1 daughter: Linda Pellow she married Andrew Mackie to have 2 children: David and Caroline (my wife).
If there is anything else we can supply or obtain for you please don't hesitate. Oh and I'll e-mail you regards pictures etc
Thanks

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 August 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Yoric: thx for the info. There are several cousins in the lincolnshire area of england I believe according to a cousin who lives on Arran as that's where he lived.
the museum on arran, http://www.arranmuseum.co.uk/
has a file on the family. if you email grace small, she deals with the genealogy part of the museum and may be able to photocopy alot of the info for you. In fact, I do have some photocopies of the bible and there is info regarding James McIntyre showing a family tree with birth records etc.
marc

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 August 05 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Yoric & Marc  :D

Yes, the Glen Sannox was ours!  The ferry that serviced the island has been named Glen Sannox too, after the area just to the north of Corrie.

I know that various family items have made their way into the Arran Museum and I am hoping to visit them in October!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help anyone while I am there.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that my dad has the book you metion already  - will check with him.  i know such things are available on the island.

My Vancouver McIntyre contacts are still in touch, but not sure what their connection with your tree could be as yet.

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 August 05 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots and Marc,
You two have certainly given me a lot to keep me busy and out of trouble for a bit. Its a shame I didn't discover this site before we went to Arran a couple of weeks ago we could have made better use of the museum- although at least now I know how to contact them and gather more info.
Please keep us updated as to the Vancouver link.
Thanks again,
Yoric

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 August 05 05:04 BST (UK) »
The bible is very much a goldmine no doubt. Arranroots-sorry about the email being posted. I suspect grace should be a great help. The cousin on Arran is related as his mother was my grandfathers sister. Her married name was Jack.
marc

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 October 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi guys!

Should (fingers crossed) be off to Arran next week, so if there is anything I can do for you that doesn't entail climbing Goatfell, let me know!  i will do my best!  Due to meet Grace on Wednesday, but can't be sure I will have internet access as I am staying in somone else's house.  Actually it WAS our house, but we are letting it out for a week!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)