Author Topic: George Benner  (Read 7647 times)

Offline dbnffc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Benner
« on: Friday 02 October 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks to anybody that reads and helps!

I am looking, and have been for over a year, for the birth certificate and details of George Benner. I believe he was born at about 1799c. in Tinwell, Rutland. I would love to know more about his parents and go further back on my family tree. He eventually married an Eleanor Taverner and spent a lot of his life in Stamford and Nottingham. I would appreciate any help at all! If you need more info I will see what I can do! I am really stuck!

Cheers!

Daniel

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Benner
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootchat

Just for starters - there were no such things as birth certificates prior to 1.7.1837 which is when Civil Registration was introduced

Entries were made in Parish Records

There is no entry on the IGI at www.familysearch.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
I notice they are mis-transcribed as Renner on the 1851 census - do you have the entry?

HO107 Piece 2131 Folio 164 Page 39

Son Frederick was b Lincs 1823 so marriage was presumably in Lincs - Ellen's birthplace

1841 entry is HO107 Piece 604 Book 11  Folio 40 Page 25

FREDERIC BENNER  Christening:  31 DEC 1823   Saint George, Stamford, Lincoln   Father:  GEORGE BENNER   Mother:  ELEANOR 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dbnffc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Firstly, i need to apologise for not posting in the right section! I have just realised that i should have posted in the lookup request section! Sorry!

secondly, thank you for finding that information. What do you recommend i do to find the parish record for george's birth? Whilst i am on the subject of George Benner, i have completely hit a brick wall in finding his death too. I believe he moved back to stamford from Nottingham, and died there. If you require any further info to help in finding his death just ask (e.g. His last childs birth date and when he last appears on the census).

Again, thank you very much for your help and i look forward to hearing from you soon!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
There is an entry on Pallotts marriage index for a marriage on 13.8.1793 between George Benner and Sarah Clapton in Moulton  Northants but whether they are his parents is a matter of debate

Even his marriage entry will not give you his fathers name as it was pre-1837 

George was still alive in 1861

Offline dbnffc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
I have noticed that a Sarah and George born in the 1700s keep popping up too. But as you have said there is no way of proving they are related, although it is likely. I think I may be stuck on this one!

Offline Hatmel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
George Benner was one of my wife's ancestors and, like you, I am trying to trace the family beyond George.

George does not appear on a transcript of the Tinwell parish records, although a Richard Benner - plasterer - does. This remained the profession of all the Benners in my wife's ancestry up until 1911.

I no longer have access to the census for George as my Ancestry subscription has expired. Do the ones oyu have suggest any other parish as his birthplace?

Below is info. on Richard Benner of Tinwell:

Baptism: 2 Jul 1792 Sarah dau of Richard and Mary
12 Aug 1794 John son - " -
2 Nov 1800 Mary dau - " -
25 Sep 1803 Mary dau - " -
13 Dec 1807 Elizabeth dau - " -
1 Sep 1816 William son of Richard & Elizabeth
18 Dec 1821 Charlotte dau of Richard & Alice
16 Oct 1823 Wright son of - " -
7 Feb 1822 Thomas son of John & Anne
1 Jul 1831 Henry son of Elizabeth(single woman)

Marriage:
31 Jan 1791 Richard BENNER & Mary ROSE
30 Aug 1819 Richard BENNER & Alice BRANIGAN

Burials:
30 Dec 1803 Elizabeth dau of Richard & Mary
10 Nov 1811 Mary wife of Richard BENNER

Richard is said to be of this parish but he does not appear before his marriage. There are Benners in nearby Easton on the Hill.

Mel

Offline dbnffc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have now managed to get back as far as Richard Benner (George's father - I believe), as above in hatmel's post. However, I have still not got anywhere with finding the birth of George Benner.

I now believe that George was born in 1797, in Tinwell, Rutland. I have found his marriage (21 Aug 1819) to Eleanor Taverner, and now know he died 22 September 1867 in Nottinghamshire.

P.S. Thank you HatMel for the info above, I also managed to transfer some info from your tree on ancestry.com.

Any help regarding finding a birth entry would be great!

Thanks!