Author Topic: Louttits Pier  (Read 27163 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Louttits Pier
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 November 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank You akc for the new pieces for the jigsaw. They certainly look as though they are going to fit in somewhere as they are all the right names in the right places. I am going to work on the theory that Margaret Brass and Catharine Brass are sisters-in-law both having seamen for husbands, and see where that leads me.

It is interesting that another Peter Louttit married a  Margaret Hourston, perhaps the Peter Louttit who married Jean Hourston on 27th November 1800 was their son, and he thought if a Hourston was good enough for dad then it's good enough for me!!!!!!

Our son lives in Helsinki which is just about on the same latitude as the Orkney Isles, and it took us a while to get used to the amount of light during the night on our first summer visit there. In fact we have just returned from a quick trip to Finland a couple of days ago, and we left in a snow blizzard so a bit of a contrast to summer time!

Thank you once again for all your pieces of information, I am keeping them safe as I am sure they are all going to fit together somehow.

Best Wishes,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 November 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
hi,,dont know if you have ever come across this site,,but in case you havent,and it helps

http://genforum.genealogy.com/louttit/
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 November 09 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Gortonboy,

I had not come across that website before, and it is sure fascinating. I now know there are over 50 ways to spell Louttit!!!!!!!!! Also the family spread far and wide around the world even having bays in Australia named after them. I really do enjoy this family search and I am always amazed at just how much information is shared.

Best Wishes,
Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 November 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I was in stromness today and spoke to the lady in the little bookshop, she was born in stromness, she told me that the site where the new pier arts centre is sited is where louttits quay used to be, it started as louttits quay then was re-named ( I cant remember what she said it was called) and then it turned into the new pier arts centre.

another little book about stromness i found had this;  "in the 1820s for example, the well to do lived scattered through the town from peter louttit at the pierhead" etc etc ( which is very close to the arts centre)

if you google stromness and find a map the pier arts centre is marked( it is very popular with tourists and locals )

also in the book: straw work for the women was a product of war conditions. foreign straw could not be obtained by the hat makers to adorn the fashionable ladies in the south. hence british products had to be used. great numbers were needed to split and plait the straw ready for the bonnet makers; in 1827 seven stromness straw manufacturers employed 2 men and 196 women and girls in the burgh and a further 73 in the parish-20% of the female population aged 10 or above.

akc

Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 November 09 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear akc,

Thank you so much for making enquires about Louttits Pier, and all the information about the straw and the uses it was put to. I had never given much thought to where the straw came from to make hats etc, but it all makes perfect sense now you mention it. I expect that men's straw boaters were also made from it.

My next move is to go to multimap and have a look at Stromness, it really does help to know what to look for.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to ask other people also, and please pass on my Thanks to the lady in the bookshop.

Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 November 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi it's me again folks.

Today the marriage certificate that I sent for arrived and here are the details:-

12th February 1853 at the United Presbyterian Chapel of Hartlepool.
Mark Rosewell & Margaret Loutitt.
Both 43 years of age.
Condition: Widower & Spinster
Mark was a Mariner.
He lived at Throston & she lived at Alfred Street, Hartlepool.
His father was Peter Rosewell - Lighterman
Her father was Henry Loutitt - Farmer
Witnesses were Thomas Malcomson & Jane M. Frazer.

So insted of solving a few mysteries I feel as through I have just driven into a brick wall!!!!!! This means that the father of the three sisters was Henry Loutitt [Louttit]

Catharine born c1803 & married Robert Brass 9th November 1826 - Stromness
Margaret born c1810 & married Mark Roswell 12th February 1853 - Hartlepool
Jessie born c1815 & married Francis Walter no date or place found so far, but she was married before the 1851 census taken in Everard Street, Hartlepool - district 10g (HO107/2384 Folio 445 page 40).

Now on the IGI I have found a marriage between Henry Louttit & Catharine Taylor on 22nd November 1798, Birsay, Orkney, Scotland which could be a possibility, but I cannot find any children for Henry and Catharine at all on either the IGI or Scotland's People. Any suggestions gratefully received, and would Birsay be a farming community?

On the 1841 Scotland Census for Gossegar, South Ronaldsay, St. Mary Ed:2; page 3, Roll CSSCT1841 -4-0452 I have come across a Henry Louttit aged 40 married to a Margaret aged 30. Their children are Catharine aged 10, Elizabeth aged 3, and James aged 5 and wondered if this Henry could be son to Henry Louttit & Catharine Taylor and therefore older brother to the three sisters? Did people move around the islands much trying to find work etc?

I seem to have many pieces for the family puzzle, but I am not at all sure the pieces are all from the same puzzle!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to plough through this little lot.
Best Wishes & Happy Searching to All.
Patsy

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 November 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought but do you have Catharines death certificate?

Only 2 children I can find born to Henry Louttit and Catharine Taylor ( or Hary Loutit and Katrin Tylar) sometimes the spelling is diabolical! are William b 19 May 1800 and Robert born 16 August 1807 both Sandwick. ( I found these 2 on cursiter.com )

Birsay is very much a farming community, next to Sandwick, and not far from Stromness

akc
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 November 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant suggestion akc. I had not found the death index entry for Catharine Brass [nee Louttit] because I was searching in the English records, but once I tried Scotland's records SUCCESS.

Catharine must have returned home - I can see why - the beauty of the Isles against the dirty industry of Tyneside as it was back then - much cleaner now - no industry!

"Catherine Brass widow of Robert Brass, Sailor, died 15th August 1867 in Stromness. She was 65 years old. Her parents were Henry Louttit - Shoemaker - (deceased) & Catherine Louttit maiden surname Taylor (deceased). She died of pneumonia 16 days, and her death was registered by her daughter Catharine Brass."

Therefore Henry Louttit was a man of many talents farmer and shoemaker. So the three sisters (Catherine, Margaret & Jessie) also had two brothers William & Robert - there must somewhere be a son called Henry named after his dad surely!!!!! I wonder where the information on cursiter.com was found regarding the two boys.

I am now going to try and follow the Henry Louttit and Margaret of South Ronaldsay through the census returns and try and identify this Henry Louttit death certificate to see if I can find his parents.

Thank you ever so much for the suggestion of searching for Catharine's death certificate. It proved to be very useful as it was Scottish not English - (English certificates don't have very much information on them - no parents etc.)

Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 November 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »
This is a brilliant site for south ronaldsay searches: southronaldsay.net

happy hunting

akc