Author Topic: Elisha Taylor - High Ham, Somerset  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
Elisha Taylor - High Ham, Somerset
« on: Friday 06 June 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon - Elisha Taylor born 1837 High Ham, Somerset - son of Lucy Wallis and James Taylor.

I have found census 1841, 1851 and 1861.  1871 census states he is married but there is no wife on the census.  The only marriage I can find is 1867 Longport, Somerset to a Jemima Banfield.  Where is she in 1871?  Then the1881 census states he is married to an Elizabeth and there are children (? hers or Jemimas?)

My dilemma - If he married Jemima what happened to her as I cannot find anything.  Secondly I cannot find a further marriage to Elizabeth.

Any help would be appreciated.

With many thanks

Loupy
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Elisha Taylor - High Ham, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Greetings!

FreeBMD has a birth for Jemima Banfield registered in Langport (which covers High Ham) Sep qtr 1839 vol 10 p371.  The birth certificate and the censuses from 1841 to 1861 might give a hint as to whether or not she had two forenames.  It may also be worth checking the census to see if she is using her maiden name in 1871.

A further option would be to obtain the birth certificates of children named on the census to see what the mother's first name was (this is where ancestral research gets expensive!) unless you can locate them in parish registers.

Unfortunately the Somerset online parish clerk don't yet have the registers for High Ham available online and FreeReg is only complete up to 1837.

Sorry I can't give you definite answers, but hopefully I have come up with a new line to tug!

Good hunting
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:50 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a Jemima Taylor age 33 in Sept Qtr 1873 Christchurch 2b 342 which would fit with the Jemima Banfield born 1840 in Curry Mallet, Somerset in the Langford Reg District

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
In 1871 she is listed as a niece with daughter Minnie Taylor as below in Woodstock Oxfordshire

George Galt 48 b Scotland
Anne Galt    39
Jemmima Taylor 30 b Curry Mallet Married
Minnie Taylor 3 Neice b Bournemouth

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Jemima Taylor married aged 30 born Curry Mallett Somerset and a Minnie Taylor aged 3 born Bournemouth in 1871, living in Hampshire.
She is niece of head of household.
Rg10/1449  30 / 2

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks one and all.

Loupy  ;D
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)