Author Topic: Viking ancestry?  (Read 7179 times)

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Viking ancestry?
« on: Tuesday 11 November 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a medical condition known as Dupuytren's contracture caused by connective tissue in the palm thickens. This can result in one of more finger becoming bent towards the palm. My father has the same condition so I did a little research and discovered that it is thought to be genetic in origin and introduced to the UK by the Vikings. I would love to know which of my family lines brought that with it.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Viking ancestry?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
It's reasonably well known, although not common, on the Isle of Man!

A former Viking Kingdom, of course ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was also diagnosed with Dupuytren's nearly 2 years ago, and I was told then about the genetic disposition from the Vikings

My paternal Grandfather had it also, and was one of the 1st patients on the new  NHS in 1948 who had surgery. He couldn't afford it before then.

His family lines go back generations ( maternal)  in Northumberland , Durham & North Yorks,
(paternal) in Warwickshire & Worcs.

It's more common in men than women

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I would think that, by now, everyone in the north of England, and probably in the south too, has some degree of Viking ancestry.

Mike

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
My father has it and he was told it is common among those with Irish ancestors [plenty of them in our family].
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Dupuytren's contracture is a non-specific affliction, but primarily affects:
•   People of Scandinavian or Northern European ancestry; it has been called the "Viking disease" or "Celtic hand", though it is also widespread in some Mediterranean countries (e.g., Spain and Bosnia) and in Japan.

"Age and geographic distribution of Dupuytren's disease (Dupuuytren's contracture)". Dupuytren-online.info. 2012-11-21.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend who makes hand-made historical shoes for re-enactment, museums and so on. She works from precise foot measurements and shape drawings, rather than generic lasts, so each shoe or boot is a perfect fit for the wearer (and very comfortable they are, too).

She says that Viking-descended feet and Anglo-Saxon descended feet have very different, and distinctive, shape profiles.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:55 GMT (UK) »
There has recently been a discussion on Dupuytren's on the facebook page for I-M253, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Hinso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a friend who makes hand-made historical shoes for re-enactment, museums and so on. She works from precise foot measurements and shape drawings, rather than generic lasts, so each shoe or boot is a perfect fit for the wearer (and very comfortable they are, too).

She says that Viking-descended feet and Anglo-Saxon descended feet have very different, and distinctive, shape profiles.

How does she know who is 'Viking-descended' or 'Anglo-Saxon-descended' a thousand years after these supposed ethic groups disappeared into the wider mix?
Horne - Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire
James - Grosmont (Monmouthshire)
Jones, Thomas, Davies - Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan
Price - Monmouthshire, Glamorgan
Prosser - Breconshire
Prossl - Bohemia, London
Rees - Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire, Illinois
Walter - Somerset, Kansas, Queensland, Western Australia