Author Topic: Greer family of Leaffoney, County Sligo  (Read 24146 times)

Offline Annie54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greer family of Leaffoney, County Sligo
« on: Monday 27 November 06 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm new at this so be kind.
My great great grandfather was Michael/Mitchell Greer of Leaffoney, County Sligo.  His daughter Fanny (1850's) married Mark Martin in Kilglass in 1872 and they lived at the Pullaheney coastguard station.  One of their many children was my grandmother, Matilda (Tillie) Martin who was born in 1885.  I know that Michael was alive in 1876 as he was present at the birth of Mark and Fanny's son George Thomas. 
He may have been buried at the Kilglass Church as they were Church of Ireland.

Thanks
Annie54

Offline alison64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Greer family of Leaffoney, County Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Do you know who Micheal's parents were?
Ive been researching the Greer's from that area who were coastguards.
Regards
Alison
My email address is not longer working sorry

Offline Annie54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 07 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,
I don't know who Michael's parents were.  It may have been John Greer, who was listed with Michael and William Greer in the Tithe Applotment records.  I have't found a birth record for him yet.  Michael was a farmer in Leaffoney. 
While searching, I did find some death registrations for a Greer family that was stationed in Enniscrone at the coastguard station there.  Elizabeth (53), wife of Robert Greer a coastguard pensioner, died December 16, 1897.  Fanny E. (14), daughter of Robert Greer, died Mar 21, 1897.  Robert Greer (61), a coast guard pensioner, died Sept 26, 1900, and Alfred Greer (14), son of Robert Greer, died Oct 6, 1900.  The last two were witnessed/reported by Robert and Elizabeth's daughter Louisa Greer.  This was all in Enniscrone, Castleconnor district, Dromore West Union, County Sligo.
I don't believe this family is related, but who knows?
Annie

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi  Annie,

I'm not sure if I have already been in touch with you.  I am descended from William Greer of Leaffoney, who is probably the brother of your Michael/Mitchell Greer.  Love to compare our knowledge.
Ray

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 November 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

I've just found some papers of my mother where she has written a small family tree.

According to this tree her GreatgreatGrandmother was Catherine Greer b. 1807 d.1893 who married Thomas Lush.  Her Grandfather was James Lush b. Leaffony 12 July 1849 so I assume there maybe some connection between our families? I have only just (as in today!) begun to look into this so I know nothing else but it would be nice to know if you could connect this Catherine to your Greer family.

Look forward to hearing fromyou.

Hilary

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 November 09 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hillary,
Nice to hear from you. Yes we are of the same family, Catherine Greer was my great grand father William Greer's sister.  Some years ago I was given details by a relative in New Zealand about this connection as the Lush family also came to New Zealand.  I have quite a bit of information about the Lush family that was given to me recently from another source that I can forward to you if you like.

Regards,

Ray Greer

Offline plunquet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 November 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Ray

Thank you for replying so prompty. That was my mother and obviously it is her notes I am going through. I hadn't done anything at all about the Lush/Brett side of the family until my sister sent me a box of my mother's papers... apparently I said not to throw anything away!

I would love to see the new information and then next time I'm in Oamaru where my mother's filing cabinet of Family stuff is I will look out the Lush files and add anything new to it.

Hilary

Offline Ray09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 November 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hillary,
I though you might be.  Don't throw anything out! Your Lush was my grandfather Acheson Greer's first cousin and they came out to NZ about the same time around 1880 and farmed next to each other at Longridge North near Balfour in Southland.
I live in Auckland.  I can send you some material if you care to give me an email address.  Mine is (*)
Regards,

Ray

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline charlied

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm new at this so be kind.
My great great grandfather was Michael/Mitchell Greer of Leaffoney, County Sligo.  His daughter Fanny (1850's) married Mark Martin in Kilglass in 1872 and they lived at the Pullaheney coastguard station.  One of their many children was my grandmother, Matilda (Tillie) Martin who was born in 1885.  I know that Michael was alive in 1876 as he was present at the birth of Mark and Fanny's son George Thomas. 
He may have been buried at the Kilglass Church as they were Church of Ireland.

Thanks
Annie54