Author Topic: Bremner * Unsolved *  (Read 8386 times)

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth Henderson, my grandmother, on the right
    • View Profile
Bremner * Unsolved *
« on: Sunday 07 June 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Trying to find family before 1780 have Benjamin Bremner b around 1780 but parents may have moved to Orkney from Caithness. He married Ann Logie b Westray 1785 m 1810 on Westray. Can any one help to get the link to next gen back as have tried all usual places for OPR's. thanx
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Bremner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
Which places have you tried? there are children of Benjamin Bremner and Ann Logie on the cursiter website
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanx akc, didn't think there may be a link with Cursiter's. Stand to reason as common as Rendall. thanx again, T
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Have Benjamin Bremner died Dec 16 1830 aged 47yrs also on same stone Thomas Logie 1826 & Mary Logie 1836 in Ladykirk Cemetery, Pierowall, Westray, dont know if you have this info

AKC

There are a couple of other references to Bremners if you dont already have them
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanx AKC. Lots of info from Cusiter site but still can't get Benjamin born on Westray or even Orkney. My problem is relying on on-line searching as unable to get up to Orkney. Thanx for the info anyway but unless I can find his DoB or parents I'm stuck and disappointed as this is my direct family line. I have plenty other family lines to work on and will come back to this eventually. Thanx, T   :(

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again, been trying in a roundabout way to find your Benjamins parents. I have found their son George b 1815, his gravestone reads: in memory of george bremner who died sept 23rd 1853 aged 38yrs,also margaret logie d 1 feb 1836 aged 85yrs.  also found them on the census in 1841 at Holdiek ( not sure what that should be ) James Logie 30, Ann Bremner 55, James Bremner 25, George bremner 25, David Bremner 20, Mary Bremner 30, Barbara Bremner 20. On 1851 census Ann is still there aged 66, George 35, Mary 40, Elizabeth 33, Barbara 31 and Ann 25. There is a George Bremner married to Isabel Seater in Westray with children ( Mary and Elspet the only 2 I found ) around 1790ish so possibly Benjamin named his oldest son after his father?

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bremner *Unsolved*
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 June 09 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again, yes I have got the info from the Census of 41 etc. The Holdiek is a gross misspelling of Hilldavale, farm in north Westray ( but you probably already know that ) that is now the C of S manse. The info about grave stones is a great help and the George name from one gen to next will be persued as there are Georges later on down the tree and I was rather fixed on James as the main family name, but there are many names passed on because of the size of the families, good breeders these Bremners! The Bremners were resident in Hilldavale for many generations, right up to my grandfather, not sure when Hilldavale became the manse as 1911 census not published yet. just have to wait till next year. Thanx for your help

Offline Razzy

• RootsChat Member
  • ...and so, will someone when I am dead and gone wr
    • View Profile
Re: Bremner * Unsolved *
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 11 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Have you ever tried the Hudson Bay Company Archives?
They sent alot of men to Canada from the Orkneys from the 1700s into the 1800s

Razzy
Laure (France);
Graham (Cumberland, England/Grahamsfield, Scotland), Taylor (Orkney);
Rogan, Johnston, McKinney, Irwin, Hamilton (Ireland);
Masters (Wiltshire, England).
Houldsworth (Sheffield, Middlesex)

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bremner * Unsolved *
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info. Have not seen any links to Canada that far back, yet. T