Author Topic: James Linklater Hay and Mary Spence  (Read 14437 times)

Offline Stangerlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stanger farm in Birsay, Orkney
    • View Profile
James Linklater Hay and Mary Spence
« on: Friday 17 July 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Looking for confirmation of the marriage between James Linklater Hay and Mary Spence including her birthdate and her parents.

They were married in The Old School House, Twatt, Birsay, Orkney
Davidson, Hourston, Murray, Robson, Sabiston, Stanger

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: James Linklater Hay and Mary Spence
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
There,s a James Linklater Hay born in Orphir in 1867, do have any idea of which year?
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Stangerlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 09 19:04 BST (UK) »
That should be him.  James Linklater Hay born September 13, 1867.  I just want to know about his spouse: Mary Spence regarding birthdate and parents.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
On Sp: 22/12/1904 James L Hay blacksmith, widower age 37 usual residence Old Schoolhouse, Twatt, Birsay married Mary Spence 32 Lower Palace, Birsay. Grooms parents were James Hay farmer ( I think Whiteclett) and Jane Sclater bride,s parents were John Spence merchant seaman, deceased and Isabella Moar.
There is a Mary Spence born to John Spence and Isabella Moar on 25 July 1872 in Birsay on cursiter.com
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline Stangerlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. What are the odds that John Spence and Isabella Moar had 2 daughters named:
Mary Spence b.July 25, 1872 (the one you found)
and
Mary Isabella Spence b.June 11, 1874 (my great aunt)

Is this possible?

My grandfather was James William Smith Spence b.August 7, 1876 to John Spence and Isabella Moar [I have his birth certificate]  and on his marriage certificate in 1902, the witness was Mary Spence (his sister) - still single.

What do you think?

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Its possible, they usually named a new baby with the same name if the first one died, but we know she didnt. The second Mary also has a different middle name! the witness could have been either one of them as the first Mary only married in 1904. I will have another dig around and see what I come up with.

akc

Offline Stangerlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

I had an aunt who always talked about her aunt Mary who lived in "The Duckie House"  which was behind the main house and closer to the lake (see picture).  According to her, Mary never married ... so I'm a bit confused, because now I have two sources - yourself and a cousin who have both stated that Mary Spence had parents of John Spence and Isabella Moar, however, her tree lists Mary as born June 11, 1874 whereas you mentioned the Mary born July 25, 1872.

Offline Stangerlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 July 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
AKC:

I've included 2 pics that I know of.  The single is of my great aunt Mary Isabella Spence b.1874-06-11 and the couple are James Hay and Mary Spence.  I don't think the two women look alike, especially in hair styles.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 July 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again, 11/6/1874 Mary Spence born |Nether Stanger father  John Spence photographer & farmer mother Isabella Moar they married 7th March 1872. John Spence father was witness

Mary Spence born 25 July 1872 at Old Manse Birsay, father was John Spence merchant seaman & carpenter and mother was Isabella Moar, they married in 8 April 1870 Birsay Grandmother Anne Moar was present on the birth cert

Both the above are on SP so something strange going on, they couldnt have married twice!

Posted this about 30 mins ago but it didnt come up for some reason so hope it doesnt appear twice now.