Author Topic: Macphail Mackay marriage  (Read 11054 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macphail Mackay marriage
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 01:31 BST (UK) »
 This is a very long shot but someone might be able to help.

I am trying to find the birthplace of an ancestor John MACPHAIL/ MCFAUL.

On his marriage cert (he married Ann Jane MCKILLOP at Ballycastle Rathlin Ireland in 1868) his father's name is Charles MCPHAIL. There is no record of Charles in Rathlin. I have always been given to believe that John MACPHAIL/MCFAUL had Noth Uist ancestry. His mother was Margaret MACKAY/MCKAY but this search has so far proved unsuccessful. A helpful Rootschatter suggested that I try Strathnaver Sutherland as both these names are common in that district.

John (my ancestor) was probably born around 1845 according to the date of his death cert. (I know these records are not always accurate!) He died in Greenock Renfrewshire in 1899.

Can anyone locate John MCPHAIL or his parents for me.

I have tried all the usual Scotlands people records without any luck.

Here's hoping.

Orkrad.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Mcphail--common name in Sutherland?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 03:12 BST (UK) »
 Hi everyone

My post requesting a possible McPhail/McKay marriage in  Strathnaver Sutherland sometime in the early 1840's has produced no results.

I am left wondering is MCPHAIL a common name for this area? If not can anyone suggest  another county (or counties) where a search  might be more successful?

Regards  Orkrad

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mcphail--common name in Sutherland?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 08:24 BST (UK) »
Is this the post? "A helpful Rootschatter suggested that I try Strathnaver Sutherland as both these names are common in that district."
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,487401.msg3454170.html#msg3454170
topics merged

You've only posted on 6 October so probably just need to be patient and see if anyone can help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
McPhail (or MacPhail; or MacFall, etc.) is probably gaelic for "son of Paul" As is common with names having the prefix "mac" or the suffix "son", there could be several, unrelated origins. One is Paul Balkasson (foster father of Leod and Sheriff of Skye) and another is Paul McTire (anglicized spelling) possibly connected to the Earldom of Ross. In any event, the MacPhails of Sutherland appear to have been a sept of the Mackays. However, there were also MacPhails in other parts of Scotland.

Strathnaver is the heart of "Mackay Country" so a McPhail/Mackay marriage would not be unrealistic and would likely be recorded in the Parish Register. Have you tried tracing it through Hugh Wallis's web site?

I notice the IGI lists the marriage of William MacPhail to Isabella Mackay on 3 July 1874, at Farr, which is Strathnaver

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 October 10 03:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks IanB. Will try the website you mentioned. The Charles  MCPHAIL/Margaret MCKAY marriage I am looking for probably was early 1840's. My direct ancestor John MCPHAIL was probably born (where I don't know) around 1845 married in Rathlin Ireland  in 1869 and died in Greenock 1899.He obviously was a bit of a traveller.

Regards  Orkrad.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 October 10 05:01 BST (UK) »
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 October 10 07:49 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that Charles McPhail and Margaret McKay (parents of John McPhail?) were from Sutherland?

The Irish civil registration index only shows 1 McPhail marriage in Co. Antrim- a William John McPhail 1900 Belfast.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

You've mentioned that John McPhail was married 1869 "in Rathlin Ireland"- do you mean on Rathlin Island? If so, much of Rathlin is and has been populate by McFaul/McFalls and I'm wondering if the McPhail family might have been connected.

What was the name of John McPhail's wife?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 October 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Orkrad,

Have you visited this site? http://irishgenealogy.net/files/Mcfmar1.html

It is a list of marriages that includes that of John McFall and Ann Jane McKillop.

If you have an edit function similar to "Find on this page", enter "Ballynatte" and it will jump down and hilight the entry. It shows John's father as Charles and Ann's father as Archibald. You will notice the name "McFall" is mentioned many times, which causes me to think that your John may have been from there, and not North Uist nor Sutherland.

Hope this helps,
IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Macphail Mackay marriage
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 October 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey and IanB.

I have a church marriage record  for JohnMCFALL and Ann Jane MCKILLOP. They were married 27 July 1868 at Ballycastle, Parish /District Moyle, County Antrim Their denomination was Church of Ireland.

I also have a death certificate for John MCPHAIL which gives his parents names as Charles MCPHAIL and Margaret MCKAY.

I know that these names are both common on Rathlin but I have been unable to trace John's birth or his parents there. All MCPHAIL/Mc FALL searches on Rathlin have not been fruitful.

As to why  I think John MCPHAIL might have come from somewhere else I only have family stories(unreliable I know but often containing some grain of truth!) that say our  MCPHAILS came from North Uist and that we are members of the Clan MCPHERSON.

I know it is more plausible that John MCFAUL/MCFALL/MCPHAIL probably came from Rathlin or Ballycastle but I simply can't  find him.

Regards  Orkrad.