Author Topic: HOLMES, Warwickshire  (Read 2180 times)

Offline estmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOLMES, Warwickshire
« on: Wednesday 27 August 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

For months I have been searching for my great great grandmother and I think I have found her successfully in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 Census'.

However, in the 1911 Census she is listed in a 'Census Summary Book'. There is very little info listed i.e. no age, occupation, date of birth etc. Does this mean anything? It says that she was in a dwelling/flat and that there was another female living with her. I do know that by this time she was a widow, aged 36 and that her two young daughters were not living with her. I can't help but think that this was indeed a dark time for her.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks :-)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census Summary Book
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi estmum

Welcome to rootschat  :)

If you have found her in the summary books you should be able to locate the census form she completed using the address. 

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline estmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that worked! Unfortunately it has confirmed that the woman wasn't my great great grandmother! She was aged 69 and living with her daughter.

Her whereabouts in 1911 remain a mystery, I have looked for ages, reviewing countless search results but haven't found her. My nan remembers visiting her in 1944 so she must still have been alive in 1911. But now I am doubting this, and I wonder whether my nan actually visited her sister (my great great grandmother's sister brought up her two daughters).

I think another full search of the death records might be in order!

Thanks again! :-)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat from me too.

What are her details in the 1901 census: name, date and place of birth etc?

Offline estmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello :-)

Sarah Holmes, married to John Holmes living in Aston, Warwickshire in 1901 (no children).

In a nutshell, it looks like they married in 1900, had their first daughter in 1903. He died in 1904, she then had a 2nd daughter in 1906 (an Alfred Holmes is listed as the father) he had a brother called Alfred?!.

Then in 1911 when the daughters are 8 and 5 they are living with their Auntie, her sister (in Aston) but I just can't find Sarah Holmes in 1911. Her second name was Ann, but it hasn't always appeared on Census'.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
I think this thread would be better on the Warwickshire board. I will ask a moderator to move it for you and possibly change the subject title.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Can you please tell us names and dates of birth of both daughters, and name of Aunt they are with in the 1911 census?

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

As the census just tells us where people were living on one night in 10 years, it may not follow that the daughters were brought up by the Aunt (perhaps they were only visiting) - unless you know differently from family stories.

Have you checked for a remarriage for Sarah? This is likely given her age. She may appear under a different surname in 1911, and perhaps even have more children.

It sounds like you have purchased the birth certificate for the second daughter whose father is Alfred. Does his occupation tally with what you know about John's brother Alfred? The names are fairly common so he could even be a cousin Alfred or unrelated Alfred.

Hopefully if a moderator moves this thread you will get more people joining in to help.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 August 14 02:13 BST (UK) »
As your Nan remembers visiting her in 1944 which is quite possible, then have you searched for a death after 1944?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOLMES, Warwickshire
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 August 14 02:22 BST (UK) »
Just looking for deaths on Freebmd, the most likely I found that seems to tie in age wise is in Dec 1/4 1951, Birmingham district - a 76 year old Sarah Holmes.

There may be others as I am unsure of the completeness of the records on Freebmd.

I'm not sure that the death certificate would give any information which proves (or not that) this is your Sarah. :-\