Author Topic: Alexander Robertson and Jane Spence (Aberlour, Grange Banff)  (Read 13976 times)

Offline jimrob3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Another Robertson looking for his roots
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Robertson and Jane Spence (Aberlour, Grange Banff)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
All very good questions. I guess I can't be certain as I don't have census data. I do have marriage records which show some names and places that are consistent. I know the first two are accurate, but I'm guessing Thomas is the right one. Looks like I have some work to do yet...

I've attached some documents if you'd care to take a look at them. Thanks again...Jim

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
This chain of certificates is perfectly correct. I'll see if I can have another look for Thomas on the censuses.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census shows Thomas at Tomneen, Knockando:

Thomas Robertson, 35, farmer of 40 acres employing 1 boy, born Aberlour
Julia Robertson, 28, born Knockando
Elizabeth Robertson, 3, born Knockando
Alexander Robertson, 2, born Knockando
Jane Robertson, "0", born Knockando
May Emerson, 14, domestic servant, born Knockando
James Calder, 15, cattle boy, born Rothes

The 1871 census for Tomneen:

Thomas Robertson, 45, farmer of 42 acres, employing 1 boy, born Aberlour
Julia Robertson, 38, born Knockando
Elizabeth Robertson, 13, born Knockando,
Alexander Robertson, 12, at school, born Knockando
Jeanie Robertson, 10, at school, born Knockando
Julia M Robertson, 8, at school, born Knockando
James Robertson, 6, at school, born Knockando
Thomas Robertson, 3, born Knockando
Margaret H Robertson, "0", born Knockando
Lachlan McDonald, 15, farm servant, born Aberlour

I think the children's names probably reflect their grandparents and parents - Alexander, Jane, Thomas, Julia, and perhaps Julia's parents were a James and an Elizabeth.

Thomas' age does not match the birth date of Thomas Geddes Robertson exactly, but it does seem to be him in every other respect. People were often a bit vague about their ages.

Offline jimrob3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
That's great to know! However, the only possible glitch in the chain is another record I found with similar names. In this one (step two of the chain), the name is Anne Mathieson instead of Annie, and the date of the marriage and age of James makes him much older...approx. 54 when he had his son James M. Of course, that's not necessarily odd back then, but less than likely I'm thinking. The marriage also took place in Aberdeen, which makes it harder to determine which is the most likely one. Any comments you might have would be helpful...especially if I'm on the wrong track. Thanks again, and sorry if I'm taking up too much of your time!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
If James M Robertson was 28 in 1922 when he got married, you should be able to get his birth certificate. This will tell you the date and place of his parents' marriage, whch will eliminate one of those marriages of James Robertsons to Ann(i)e Mathiesons.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimrob3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
Excellent!

I found two registrations for the same birth, one at Chapel of Garioch in Aberdeen and the other at Cathcart/Lanark. It would appear they registered his birth on Oct 13 at Garioch, then 3 days later at Cathcart. It looks like they moved within days of the initial registration. The first registration was even included on the second one. Was it common to register more than once?

The good news is, it's the same Annie and James that produced Thomas. So now, I can plow my way through all those names you've provided me. Do you think I'll be able to trace Alexander and Jane's ancestors further? The certificates appear to have dried up...ie, I can't confirm their marriage or birth.

Thanks again!!

Thanks, once again.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Good to see you got the birth certificate. The other James Robertson and Ann Mathieson had two sons, Alexander and William, so it wasn't them.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
I know anything is possible but on the first marriage certificate it lists his father's occupation as 'confectioner'.  That means he either went from being a farmer or  mason's labourer  to making sweeties - sounds a bit odd to me.
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jimrob3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, a very good point Jenny. I wondered about that myself. I do know that both my grandfather and his father 'sold' sweets...didn't 'make' them. It's possible he got a job as a salesman which moved him from the country to work nearer to the larger city of Glasgow. I'm not exactly sure how jobs were come by back then, or what made people move away from their birthplace, but I'm assuming it happened like it does now, so that could be a possibility. Wish I had some living relatives to ask.