Author Topic: Parker & Smith marriage, KEMPSEY 1796  (Read 2200 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Parker & Smith marriage, KEMPSEY 1796
« on: Friday 29 August 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

For a long time I've been stuck on a branch of my family tree. My great-great-great-grandmother Maria Parker (born Kempsey, Worcestershire 1814) was the daughter of William and Sarah Parker. Maria seems to have been one of their younger children, as the same couple (or at least, someone with the same names) seem to have started having children as early as 1796. This seems consistent with the marriage between a William Parker and a Sarah Smith in Kempsey on 23 Jan (Jun?) 1795/6.

I have been unable to trace either baptism, nor William or Sarah's date of death, and I would like to get a fuller picture about their lives and origins.

Can anyone help at all?  ???
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parker & Smith marriage, KEMPSEY 1796
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cimbrio
I’ve had a look at Kempsey’s Parish Register and William Parker married Sarah Smith on 23 June 1796. Their first child also named Sarah was baptised on 18 September 1796 and was buried on 10 May 1801. Three Parkers were buried in March and April 1811 Ann aged 11 and Thomas and William - no ages given.
In 1813 the parish started to use the printed parish register, so there is more information when children are baptised and William Parker the father is described as a labourer living with Sarah at The Greens.
I didn’t have time to look in the parish registers for William and Sarah’s burials but on the National Burial Index there’s a William Parker’s burial at Kempsey St Mary’s on 26 September 1840 aged 78.
This website as links to general information that you might find interesting:-
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WOR/Kempsey/

Jack

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jack, for confirming the date of marriage and also providing new facts about the deaths of three children. Do you happen to have the exact date of burial for William and Thomas? Even though it does not mention their ages, they could well be the children of William Parker and Sarah Smith.

Which source have you used to find these details? I checked the link you provided but unfortunately I can't find burial records.

I don't know if it's possible to trace William's date of baptism as he may have been from elsewhere, but as they married in Kempsey, I believe there's a chance Sarah Smith would have been born in Kempsey, so a date of burial or baptism might provide more information, if you can help at all.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 14 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi cimbrio

Dates of deaths from the Kempsey parish registers were as follows:-
Ann aged 11 23 March 1811       Thomas 31 March 1811        William  3 April 1811

If William’s wife Sarah survived him then she may have gone to live with one of her children in another parish and is buried there. She is not buried at Kempsey.

Unfortunately Sarah does not appear to have been baptised in Kempsey with that surname.

Norton juxta Kempsey aka Norton by Kempsey, which is one of the parishes next to Kempsey has not been fully transcribed and so the baptisms from 1701 to 1812 aren’t covered on FamilySearch. If I have time when I go to the Archive I’ll check that Parish’s register.

I can send you a pm about parish registers and partial transcriptions on FamilySearch and how I find out which registers that applies to, if that would be of interest.

Jack

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,

Thank you for that great information. I am still wondering whether Sarah was baptised in Kempsey or not (she may have married William Parker as her second husband).

In any case, yes, I would be very grateful if you could give me any links which might be useful to trace further baptism, marriage or death records for the time in question.

Many thanks,

Dan

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping to revive this thread by hoping someone out there may have access to Worcestershire records and particularly to look up the death of Sarah Parker - who is listed living with her youngest son Henry in Kempsey in the 1841 census. I can't find her on the 1851 census, but I can't see a death for a Sarah Parker in between those dates in the Upton reg district. There is one in 1859 which could be the right person, but I'm weary about ordering the death cert without at least an inkling that I'm on the right track. Help, anybody?  ???

UPDATE: I stand corrected, Sarah is mentioned in 1851 living with son Henry in Kempsey, and furthermore, her place of birth is given as "Hanley", which is news to me! Appears the death cert for 1859 may be the right one after all! I'll keep digging for her and her son Henry in later years just in case.