Author Topic: Thomas Lucas of Leeds-8th Regiment of Foot  (Read 539 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Lucas of Leeds-8th Regiment of Foot
« on: Saturday 22 March 14 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the military record of Thomas Lucas, born around 1782. I know for a fact that he died on 20 NOV 1812 in Canada (during the War of 1812). In the casualty list, the information includes that he was in the 1st battalion, born in Leeds, was a cloth dryer, he won several prizes, one for Copenhagen as a private, one as a sergeant in Martinique. The money went to his widow who was in Canada at the time of his death (Mary Winder, they married in Leeds in 1802). I have been looking for his military record without success in several online databases as well as the National Archives. I would guess he joined around 1804. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks very much!
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lucas of Leeds-8th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 March 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison

If he died while serving there will not be an individual record for him as these mainly come from the various pensions department.

I have quite an extensive database of the 8th Foot.  Thomas Lucas had a varied career:

25 July 1802 - Promoted Corporal from Private
24 December 1804 - Promoted Sergeant
30 March 1810 - demoted from Sergeant to Private
27 June 1811 - promoted to Corporal
28 November 1811 - promoted Sergeant

- According to my records it was Sergeant William Lucas who died 20 November 1812 in Canada -

Ken

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 14 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Ken! This is very interesting information. I have added the casualty list that I have where it is written Thomas Lucas. I have added an excerpt of this list. I am happy to share the whole page with you if you are interested. Mary (Winder) Lucas's second husband was also a sergeant in the 8th, Richard Derrom (sometimes spelled Durham). They ended up in New Zealand. Thanks again for all of the information!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 March 14 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Is his occupation  cloth dresser? - http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/TEXcropper.htm

Ken