Author Topic: McFadzens  (Read 1795 times)

Offline spwat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McFadzens
« on: Monday 29 September 14 00:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for McFadzens in Scotland. My GGrandfather Robert was born in Scotland his father was John McFadzen (down as a horse dealer on Roberts Marriage certificate) Robert married in Manchester in 1850 and was a widower his age was given as 36 but his age seems to be different to what it should be every census. I have been unable to find his first wife. There were family stories saying that the family were presbytarian and disowned Robert because he married a Catholic girl. His sister apparently moved to America to be a house keeper to a plantation owner - dont know how much of it is true but at some point there was an inheritance which didnt appear. Robert was a Tailor, I have found the marriage of JOhn McFadzen to Margaret stirrat and there appear to be 2 children Robert and Mary christened 1817 in Stevenson. Can anyone help me out?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: McFadzens
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
There is only one McFadzen death on freebmd in Lancashire pre-1850

Mary - March qtr 1850 www.lancashirebmd.org.uk shows her as 30yrs old

Robert re-married June qtr

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For clarity: The following records show on Ancestry’s Scotland Select Births & Marriages.  All spelling as found.

John McFadyen married Margaret Stirrat 29 Dec 1813, Stevenston Ayr.

Robert, son of John McFadyen and Margaret Stirrat born 16 Apr 1815 Greenock East, Renfrewshire

Mary McFadzen, daughter of John McFadzen & Margaret Sterrat born 21 Apr 1817, bpt 4 May 1817, Kilwinnig, Ayr

Not sure about the following census, it might be of later use if only for elimination purposes – it’s the only one I can find with a suitable Robert who is a Tailor!  http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

1841 Census - Gorbals –Lanarkshire, Rutherglen Loan
Robert McFadyen, 30, Tailor, not born in county
Ann McFadyen, 25, not born in county
Mary Ann McFadyen, 2 months, born Lanarkshire

They share this address with Francis McBryerty, a labourer & his wife Helen, both born in Ireland, and their two children aged 2 and 1 day respectively, both born Lanarkshire

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
There is also this from scotlandspeople:
Margaret McFadzean, other name Stirrat, born 1775, died 1868 at Kirkmichael, Ayr

Which ties in with this census from A*try:

1861 Census, 600/Kirkmichael, Milton St, South Side
Margaret McFadzean, 82, born Stevenston, Ayr, Pirn Winder
(she is recorded as the mother of William Wilson aged 52, but A*try does this sort of thing!  You would need to confirm the original piece from scotlandspeople.

Offline spwat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
HI Bri1gau,

The 1841 census sounds promising the only other Robert I have found in the 1841 census in Scotland was a joiner. If it his my Robert both Ann and Mary Ann must have died before 1850. I have also been trying to find John but havent had much sucess. Margaret could fit in too. Thank you for your help.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 14 08:21 BST (UK) »
Looking again at that 1868 death cert and 1861census, she doesn’t seem to be your Margaret after all.  Another Margaret Stirrat married James Wilson in 1803 and was still having children in 1817 which overlaps with your family line.  Possibly this Margaret later married a McFadzean?

Offline spwat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
It could be. I'm still looking for John in any census. One of my uncles started looking at the family tree about 50 years ago and he seemed to think that the family was from Maxwelltown in Wigtownshire but I havent had any luck finding any Roberts from there that fit the age. There was also talk of the family being presbytarians and they fell out with Robert because he married a Catholic girl. His sister also went to live in America and married a Ranch owner. She left money to the family but when the will arrived it was blank we think the family in America didnt want to part with their money. Incidentally Robert signed his marriage certificate with a good signature which I think indicates he must have been educated. Any idea's how I can follow these lines?

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
I had a few spare scotlandspeople credits so downloaded Robert McFadzen’s 1815 birth record.  The Select births & Baptisms on A*y are an index only and lack detailed information sometimes available in the Register.  In this case it shows John McFadzen, married to Margaret Stirrat, to be a Miller, not a Horse Dealer as stated on Robert’s second marriage record, so although the birth year fits well enough, it’s impossible to be certain of your Robert’s parentage without further confirmation.  I can’t find any reference to John McFadzen, Miller or Horse Dealer in any census returns.

Yes, Robert did have a particularly good signature; he would have needed literacy & numeracy skills working as a Tailor, probably also served an apprenticeship. 

These are the only Robert McFadzen Scottish marriages I’ve found between 1830 & 1850.  The first three can be chased through the census years, the last two I’ve not found, although Agnes is interchangeable with Ann.

1834   Robert McFadyen (a Bookbinder) married Christian Stewart Greenock Old or West, Renfrew
1845   Robert McFadyen (a Carpet Weaver) married Susan Stewart Barony, Glasgow City /Lanark
1846   Robert Mcfadyaen (a Flesher) married Joan / Joanna Murdoch Glasgow City, Lanark.
Robert McFadzen (a Joiner) married Mary Dickie

1838   Robert McFadgeon married Agnes Mitchell Lanark/Lanarkshire
1849   Robert McFaddeon married Helen Wood Airdrie or New Monkland, Lanark

Sorry I can’t help with the American connection, certainly not without more detail.  If you’d like me to forward the 1815 birth record for Robert, send me your e-mail in a PM.

Brigau

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
Horse Dealers were often tinkers/gypsies/travelling people. Is it possible that yours was such a person?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.