Author Topic: Janet Walkinshaw b 1820 Edinburgh  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Walkinshaw b 1820 Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Date of birth for Janet Walkinshaw on Family search with parents George Walkinshaw and Helen Sangster is 11 April 1820.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 12:22 BST (UK) »

Thank you all for the extra info.  Yes it is her on 1841 census as her mother's maiden name was Sangster .

I have downloaded Alex. Webster's will but it is an inventory and Janet inherits everything.

Downloaded Janet's marriage in 1863 to Peter Cadgen -- it is under Cadzien on S.P. but very faint so have emailed them to have it made darker.
Their son Peter born in 1861 died in 1864 .Their were two deaths on SP both in 1848 for a John Price had a look at both one was a young boy aged 9 and the other was a man aged 46 which would have made him born c 1802.

Will get back on to it later today.
Thanks everyone once again.

suzilad

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 April 14 14:31 BST (UK) »

Hi All,
        I have just received a much better image from S.P. ( not bad -- emailed them Monday and it was here this morning) . Thought that maybe her children might have been witnesses unfortunately not.

One thing I did notice neither of her two previous married names were mentioned just  she was a widow and a needlewoman . Ages are different again she is now aged 38 and he is 28.

Looks like a visit to GROS in Edinburgh is on the cards.

Regards,

suzilad

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 June 15 15:03 BST (UK) »

Cadgen is a very unusual name don't think it's Scottish.

suzilad

Hello, I found this message while researching the name Cadzian on this website. I agree that Cadzian is a VERY unusual name and there are not many in with this name in Scotland. The name is frequently misspelled and misinterpreted in original documents, which has made it difficult to trace back. I think we have a family connection!

I believe Peter "Cadgen" is actually Peter Cadzian AKA Cadzean AKA Cadgen, born  Crossgates, Fife c 1836. His father was James Cadzian and he had a brother named William Cadzian, born about 1833 in the Dunfermline area of Fife.

His father, James Caydzian was born in Clackmannan, about 1804 and the Caydzian family date back to a Simon Caydzian 1750s, Clackmannan. I have some other information about the family if you are interested.

For some reason, this branch of the  Cadzian family moves from Fife to Edinburgh by the  1850's and are known as Caydian/Cadzian/Cadzean/Cadgen! There is also anoter Caydzian family in Edinburgh at this time, but they are cabinetmakers from Stirlingshire and I cannot as yet see a link?

1841 census  Dalgetty Dstrct 1 Folio: 1 Page: 7 : Peter Cadgen age 6, born Fife. Living at Springhill, Dalgetty, Fife, with (father) James Cadgen, age 40, agricultural worker, (mother) Catherine, age 39, and older (siblings ) James age 19, Catherine age 15 and William age 6.
1851 census: Peter Cadzian Age 15. Address: 28 High Street Fountain Close Occupation: Boiler Maker Apprentice. Living with father James, iron moulder labourer, and brother William, iron moulder apprentice.

1861 census: No 2 St Mary's Wynd, Canongate, Edinburgh. Janet Webster 33 Dress Maker James Price Webster 15 Tobaconist Mary Price Webster 14 Shirt Maker Peter Cadlen 26 Boiler Maker b. Kirkcaldy Fife. I believe Janet Webster is your Janet Walkinshaw?

1871: Peter Cadgen Age: 36 : Head Spouse's name : Jessie Cadgen No 1,,,,,,,,Newington, Edinburgh Occupation: Black Smith.

I don't have all the pieces for this family but I have some. Still not sure who his mother "Ctherine" was, or where and when he was born, but will keep looking! Hope this gives you a little more family information :)
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 June 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
Are you absolutely sure it's not a misreading of Cadger?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 June 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Are you absolutely sure it's not a misreading of Cadger?

No - the name is CADZIAN, is the proper spelling. Cadzian may be pronounced as Cadyen or Cadyean. Cadzian is variously spelled within documents at  SP and on census returns (the culprit of the most egregious misspellings!)worstl,Caydzian/Cadzian/Caydzien/Cadzien/Cadzen/Cadzeon/Cadzon/Cadgen/

My great aunt Mary's husband, John Cadzian, is from a long line of the Cadzian family in Scotland and can be traced back to the 1750's in Clackmannan - to a Simon(or Symon) Cadzian (Caydzon) and Katherine McArthur. There is also another family of Cadzian (Caydzian) in Edinburgh at the same time as our family, but they were cabinetmakers.

John's military documents, death and birth documents have him as Cadzian. His father James was named Cadzian, as was his grandfather William. For some strange reason, William's brother, Peter, has the misspelling of Cadgen/Cadger  in some documents, but  it was also Cadzien on SP, whereas William's name is Cadzian on SP.
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Very enlightening :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.