Author Topic: jane guthrie 1821 edinburgh  (Read 1101 times)

Offline wilrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
jane guthrie 1821 edinburgh
« on: Friday 13 June 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
hi i am trying to find the parents of jane guthrie born edinburgh 1821 she married in newcastle upon tyne 1839 to thomas hebron and i have found 2 jane guthries born in edinburgh any help would be appreciated thank you  ;D

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: jane guthrie 1821 edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 June 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the 1839 marriage cert showing her fathers name and occupation?

I see FS has 2 baptisms on the same day and in the same church but with 2 different sets of parents.  Unfortunately both fathers are John but possibly an occupation on the marriage cert could help narrow it down if you check the OPR's on SP

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wilrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 June 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
i know thats bad luck isnt it i have been scrolling through the parish regs. but havent found it yet i have even tried looking for the parents in newcastle (both sets) to see if the family moved here and no luck with that so far if only i could find the marriage in the parish regs they were married at st johns newcastle thats all know x

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 June 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
i know thats bad luck isnt it i have been scrolling through the parish regs. but havent found it yet i have even tried looking for the parents in newcastle (both sets) to see if the family moved here and no luck with that so far if only i could find the marriage in the parish regs they were married at st johns newcastle thats all know x

Linked thread here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=689815.msg5336880#msg5336880
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 June 14 17:57 BST (UK) »
wilrob, if you do not have the marriage certificate, get a copy of it. Then tell us the name and occupation of Jane Guthrie's father. Without that, you are not going to get any further.

FreeCEN lists in the 1841 census a family at 6 Heriot Bridge, Grassmarket that includes John Guthrie, 54, damask maker, wife Christian and children including Jane, 21. There is also a Thomas Thomson, aged 56. This is the family of John Guthrie and Christian Thomson, so you can eliminate that Jane Guthrie as a candidate for your Jane Guthrie.

What you cannot do, however, is assume that the other Jane Guthrie baptised in Edinburgh in 1821, daughter of John Guthrie and Jean Laidlaw, is yours. There could be others whose baptisms were not recorded.

If Jane's marriage certificate tells you that her father's name was John, you are then one stop closer. If his occupation as stated on the marriage certificate matches his occupation (if any is given) on the baptism record of Jane Guthrie, daughter of John Guthrie and Jean Laidlaw, then you would, I think, be justified in thinking she is the right one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 June 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
wilrob, if you do not have the marriage certificate, get a copy of it.

That's what I've suggested on the other thread  :)

You may well have to buy the certificate or go Newcastle City Library Local Studies or Tyne & Wear Archives and look at the registers there on microfilm.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk