Author Topic: Boyd family  (Read 7024 times)

Offline J70BYD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyd family
« on: Thursday 30 July 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
I am new to family research and have very Little to go on  - so here goes.

My grandfather was Joseph Boyd born on 14 January 1891 at Hazelwood, Calry, Sligo. His father was Willaim and his mother Ellen (nee Mally or Malley). I have a copy of his birth certificate.

I know that Hazelwood was owned by the Wynne family and that there was a Patrick Boyd noted in Griffiths valuation in 1858 at Barroe and this was owned by Wynne also. No idea if connected.

I have nothing before this or after 1891 and can't find them on the 1901 census.

The next and only other document I have is a marriage certificate for Edward Boyd in London in 1916 when he was a soldier. Family lore is that Joseph changed his name to Edward for some reason. He married Ethel Miles on 2 September 1916.

If anyone has any infomation tying into these people it would be a breakthrough for me.

Offline J70BYD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Boyds in Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 January 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my grandfather to his birth at Hazelwood Calry near Sligo in 1891. His name was Joseph Boyd and his father William worked there. It would be great to hear from anyone with any family history that links to this.
I am travelling to Sligo in March and intend researching more if I can find where the parish records or Hazelwood records are held.

Offline silverfoxvb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd family
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 01:35 BST (UK) »
I've just joined this site.  I have Boyd ancestors also from Hazelwood.  I was just in Ireland to research and did not find anything on my John Maxwell Boyd, however he was from Hazelwood and left there in 1853 along with an older brother Robert Maxwell Boyd. We were able to find that Robert maxwell Boyd was formerly from Drumcliffe, with a brother Joseph.  Robert, Joseph, and John's parents were Joseph Boyd and Jane Maxwell.  I have the marriage cert for them from the Drumcliffe church.  The family lived in Cooldrumman which is just northwest of Drumcliffe.  No one knows why they moved to Hazelwood or when.  We are still researching that.  If you think your Joseph can be linked to this family, try Drumcliffe/Cooldrumman (this was the address given on the marriage certificate).  The only Boyd in this area in Griffith's Valuation is a Hugh Boyd.  Hopefully this gives you some ideas to follow.

Offline Jack Harkaway

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 September 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
I note that the last message to this post was a few years ago but am going to try responding just in case!

I live in Sligo and also have connections to the Boyd's who lived at Hazelwood.  My great, great, great grandfather was Robert Boyd who I understand lived on the Wynne's estate and worked for Owen Wynne.  He was a Water Bailiff in Sligo and later a town constable who was commended by the town committee for his work during the 1832 cholera epidemic in Sligo.

I have lots of information on his son ( also Robert ) and on down to my own family connection via my grandmother, Emma Boyd.

The Boyd's seemed to have a strong connection to Drumcliffe and Hazelwood and I've found a little more information on Joseph Boyd who is mentioned here.  He and wife, Mary Ewing, lived at the gatehouse of Hazelwood estate where I believe Joseph worked as a gardener.  His father William was, I believe, a brother to one my own ancestors, Robert Boyd.

If anyone here is interested I'd be happy to share the information I have on the Boyd's and maybe piece things together a bit more.

Michael.

Offline J70BYD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Haven't looked here for a while, and please to see someone has replied!
As previously posted, our great grandfather Edward Boyd was we believe born Joseph on 14th Jan 1891 at Hazelwood and his father William in 1859 somewhere in Calry. William's wife was Ellen (nee Malley) at the time. Our information is patchy prior to that, and a bit sketchy after that until Edward married in London in 1916 so it would be great to tie up to your history if possible.
My brother and I planning a trip to Ireland probably 16-23rd April and planned to stop in Sligo for a couple of days. We would love to meet up with anyone who is interested in sharing some Boyd history with us to try to fill in the gaps.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 13:09 GMT (UK) »
As previously posted, our great grandfather Edward Boyd was we believe born Joseph on 14th Jan 1891 at Hazelwood and his father William in 1859 somewhere in Calry. William's wife was Ellen (nee Malley) at the time.

Always good to post links to the records  :D

Birth of Joseph 1891
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1891/02400/1894957.pdf

Marriage
Party 1 Name   WILLIAM BOYD
Party 2 Name   ELLEN MALLEY
Date of Event   11 April 1882
Group Registration ID   2131446
SR District/Reg Area   Manorhamilton
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1882/10967/8008704.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline J70BYD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow!. this is great, I obviously need to have another search, either you are much better at it than I am or there is more online than 10 years ago. Many thanks.
Interesting to see that there is not an Edward.
JimBo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 15:13 GMT (UK) »
You're very welcome  ;D

Use the irishgenealogy site for your searches. All the records are free.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/news/154-update-to-the-civil-records-3

KG