Author Topic: Mac Gille Chaluim's genealogies of Lewis  (Read 5205 times)

Offline suevize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mac Gille Chaluim's genealogies of Lewis
« on: Tuesday 24 May 11 10:57 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of Mac Gille Chaluim's Genealogy of the Mathesons and have found it very useful in tracing my Matheson ancestors. I understand that he published a series of such genealogies for Lewis families in the Stornoway Gazette but have never been able to find copies. I would be interested if anyone knows how electronic copies can be obtained (I live in Samoa so can't visit any libraries).
Vize Matheson Lucy Renaghan McCabe Jesson Wadey Macdonald Sewell Barrien Ackroyd Cameron Page Warwick Stocker Irmler Nicol Petrie Aguilar Kilpatrick Norman Morison Walker Brannigan  O'Connor Mooney Barker Laurie Spencer Luff(e) Redman Bennett Ide Chapman Macaulay Stewart Hide/Hyde Taylor Petrie Reverdy

Offline asgerd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Gille Chaluim's genealogies of Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
The series hasn't been digitised but I have most of them as photocopies - could scan and send if you like. There's a lot of them though so I can't offer to do them all, at least not quickly. What families are you looking for in particular?

I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
Families of Uig, Lewis
Conway/Macilwaine in Antrim
Egan in Co Clare
Perrin and Woodroffe

Offline suevize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
i am not even sure which families he has covered. But i am looking for Macdonald, Macaulay, Cameron, Mackay, Mackenzie and Morison.
Vize Matheson Lucy Renaghan McCabe Jesson Wadey Macdonald Sewell Barrien Ackroyd Cameron Page Warwick Stocker Irmler Nicol Petrie Aguilar Kilpatrick Norman Morison Walker Brannigan  O'Connor Mooney Barker Laurie Spencer Luff(e) Redman Bennett Ide Chapman Macaulay Stewart Hide/Hyde Taylor Petrie Reverdy

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
The series hasn't been digitised but I have most of them as photocopies - could scan and send if you like. There's a lot of them though so I can't offer to do them all, at least not quickly. What families are you looking for in particular?

Great offer Asgard!

I am interested in John MacAulay, tacksman of Kirkibost on the west side of Lewis, his son Aulay settled in Coigach around 1725, lots of descent from then, but I had no luck tieing them into the documented Lewis lines.

Thanks,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline dmorley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 June 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am looking up my family history. My Mom gave me some hand written notes, which i believe came from her brother. On the backside of the notes, is a very poor photocopy of Families of Lewis Macphails, I am unable to read most of it, and i am unable to see a connection to my family. I haven't come across a Macphail in any of the info I have. Seems like my Great Grandparents were Donald Morrison, and Catherine Murray. I have Donald Morrison's Parents (my Great, Great Grandparents) listed as a George Morrison (1837-1893) and a Mary Murray (1840-1928) The only other info I have is Mary Murray's Father I believe is a John Murray.
Would you have scans (if they exist) of Morrison's, Murrays's and the MacPhails?
I would appreciate any help you can give.

Offline Imogen555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have taken photographs (the only method available to me during my visit to the Stornoway Gazette offices) of 3 of these valuable articles - for McIver and 2 branches of Smith, possibly not useful to you dmorley but just in case anyone else is interested.

Note also that there exists an extremely valuable resource for researchers of ancestors in the Outer Hebrides : a large book called "Gleanings".  It contains details of all family groups and crofters, details of who the croft tenancy passed to, BMD dates, anecdotes etc - it's an absolute goldmine, possibly covering all dates since records started.  However it is virtually impossible to find any reference to this online, and one certainly cannot buy it.  There are copies to view in (at least) the Seallam family history centre in Northton and at Stornoway Library.
Coley / Norris / Quigley-Tweedie / McIntyre / Stewart / McLeod / Adamson / Munsie / Trenholm