Author Topic: Clontibret parish Church of Ireland vestry book of Co. Monaghan - sold on eBay  (Read 4261 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear RootsChat readers,

Several days ago I noticed that an original Clontibret parish Church of Ireland vestry minutes book, with entries from 1871 through the early 1900s, was being offered for sale on eBay. I was quite shocked -- I thought that a church vestry book was the property of the church, which indeed legally it should be, but the church warden/minister/clerk/curate or other person who had this book could have dumped it (accidentally or through neglect), and someone rescued it from a trash bin or purchased it from a shop to sell on eBay. This is just SUCH a pity, to see a lovely old church record book for sale to the highest bidder.

I emailed several historian/genealogist friends in Belfast and Dublin and asked if they knew about the Clontibret vestry book selling on eBay, but none did, and we tried bidding on it to try to save it. Perhaps that's what the other bidders were doing, as well, but the bidders' identities are kept private and we don't know who's bidding. There are many collectors who want antique/vintage books of one category or another: church, military, etc.

We had hoped to get the vestry book, have it digitally scanned/microfilmed, donate the digital copies to PRONI and the original book to the RCB Library (if they wanted it and did not already have a microfilm of it, which is indeed the case -- and they DO want it). However, someone else "won" (purchased) the book for £174.00.

None of the Clontibret parish Church of Ireland records are housed at the RCB Library, they are in the hands of changing church officials. These particular vestry minutes are NOT in church records on microfilm at PRONI in Belfast. The original ledger that sold on eBay was the ONLY record of those vestry activities in those given years.

This is a book that has gone in a private sale, and as far as I know, it will not be accessible for research, by anyone anywhere, ever again. The eBay seller has not responded to my inquiries so far, as I asked if he could put me in touch with the purchaser in some way, or if he himself would copy the book pages (for which I offered to pay him) before shipping it to the purchaser.

If you know anything about this Clontibret vestry book, if you were the purchaser or know the purchaser, PLEASE contact the RCB Library and PRONI, and see if the purchaser will allow scanned images of the book pages to be donated for research. Dr. Susan Hood and Dr. Raymond Refausse of the RCB Library would be very glad to hear from you, the PRONI staff would be glad to hear from you, and so would I.

I live in the USA, but our visits to the RCB library and PRONI have given us much information on our County Monaghan families. We are very appreciative of their archival work, as well as that of the National Library and National Archives in Dublin. If you appreciate what these wonderful archives and libraries do to preserve the records and manuscripts of the Church of Ireland, the Catholic Church and other denominations, help these documents continue to be available to researchers. Keep an eye out for the "sold on eBay" Clontibret parish vestry book.

Sincerely,
Annie Hadden Crenshaw

~~~~~~~~-----------------
The sale listing on eBay had these details, with photos of several pages from the Clontibret ledger (which I'll be glad to share with anyone who wants the digital images):

Item title: Old Irish historical records Clontibret Church Monaghan Ireland 1871 Minute Book
Item number: 181506599953
Winning bid:  £174.00
Bidders: 8
Bids: 23
Time ended: 04-Sep-14
Seller:  second-helping (2562 transactions)  100% positive Feedback
Based in United Kingdom, second-helping has been an eBay member since 13 May, 2002
~~~~~~~~------------

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clontibret parish Church of Ireland vestry book of Co. Monaghan - sold on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
That would only be one for the Legal Representatives of the Church to take on board. As far as I know.... these would be Church property regardless of who kept them updated etc.

If I'm correct, then none of us should be able to buy them! The Legal Dept would have to take up the issue with Ebay who would have to disclose the seller and Purchaser etc for their return!

The main question would be the legality of the sale.

Has anyone contacted the Church Legal Department? They may not even be aware of the situation.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clontibret parish Church of Ireland vestry book of Co. Monaghan - sold on eBay
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your post, Dave, and yes the Church knows about this. See Dr. Susan Hood's message below. I've just heard from the seller, within the past hour, who says he shipped the book to its purchaser TODAY (apparently before reading any of my emails sent to him over the past 5 days). He apologizes but says "This particular item was bought with a bag full of old wartime magazines," and he sold it just as he would sell any old book or magazine. I'm pleading with him to put me in touch with the purchaser so that we might at least get digital copies of the vestry book pages and donate to the RCB Library and PRONI. Alternatively, perhaps the book purchaser plans to donate it back to the Church himself. A positive result of any kind would be wonderful.

Annie

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Clontibret parish Church of Ireland vestry book of Co. Monaghan - sold on eBay
Date:    Mon, 8 Sep 2014
To:    Annie Crenshaw
CC:    Raymond Refausse

Dear Annie,

Thank you for taking the trouble to contact us.

It is indeed regrettable that this original record has ended up for sale in this arena. It is of course not supposed to be beyond the hands of the church or the Representative Church Body, which is the legal trustee of all such material.

However, the records of Clontibret have not been transferred here and it is difficult to police what happens locally, especially as there has been a vacancy in this parish for some time. We don’t have any copies of the record, nor do we have much original material from this parish, so we would be very glad if you can provide them to have copies of the copies you have to hand.

We will bring this matter to the attention of the bishop of Clogher, in whose jurisdiction this parish lies.

With kind regards and thanks again,
Yours sincerely,

Susan Hood

Dr Susan Hood
Church of Ireland RCB Library
Braemor Park
Churchtown
Dublin 14

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 September 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
Well it's Church property. Up to them, not us, to do something about it!

It is of course not supposed to be beyond the hands of the church or the Representative Church Body, which is the legal trustee of all such material..... Up to their Legal Dept to get purchaser's name, address from Ebay!!

Nothing to do with us. Or in reality not the Bishop's decision either!!

They have the money and power to do something!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.