Author Topic: james gunn  (Read 10820 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james gunn
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 October 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
The Freemasons were originally stone masons, I think. Hence all those funny <gadgets> and stuff ;) Don't know much about them except for reading a very good exposee a long time back.

I'll have a look at the 1841, for the Poolewe birth. Mind you it's a fair way to travel if he went to Berwick. It takes me 6-7 hrs to get to Newcastle nowadays and I live a bit further up the coast from Poolewe.

James Gunn is not an uncommon name up here, so best be careful. You don't want to trace the wrong tree.

Taught to touch type by my big sister when I was 15. It has stood me in good stead  :)

Gadget  (called lots of things but never Lesley before  :D )

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 October 06 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that the James in Gairloch is your's Dennis  :(

This one's father was a tenant or lotter (possibly later a crofter or they were cleared- I've done a bit of local history for this part), and he probably helped on his father and maybe did some fishing although it does not say.

I would expect your James to already be at least an apprentice stonemason by 1841.

Gadget

:-\

Added - have you seen the one in Aberdeen 1841 who is a mason - only one on Freecen in that broad age range - worth investigating. he's married but a poss
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline banshee

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 October 06 16:38 GMT (UK) »
looking at that one now if thats the one he would have left margaret to marry christian heslop in 1847  trying to find margaret in 1851 census to see if james is still with her but I can,t find her anywhere any ideas.

Denis :-[

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 October 06 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Sadly she could have died. There was a cholera outbreak in 1848 (?) that started in Scotland and spread throughout UK.

It's one explanation  :-\

Alternatively, this was when the Clearances were taking place in Wester Ross - I'll go check out my references and get back to you about that aspect later today or Tuesday.

Gadget

Added - I boobed there - it's all this Lesley business, they were in Aberdeen

Offline banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 29 October 06 17:01 GMT (UK) »
that might explain it funny how I can,t find children either Ill check the deaths for her. ;D

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 October 06 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denis

Sorry that I can't be of more help with your query, but I don't think that the James Gunn in the Poolewe / Gairloch area is the chap you're after. I do have some details about James as he's one of my (very!) distant ancestors.

James Gunn (born approx 1810) was a crofter and the son of Alexander Gunn and Mary McIver. His siblings were called Donald, Annabella, Christy, John, Barbara, Hector, William and Alexander. He died in 1892 in the parish of Gairloch. As you think your James died in 1856, it looks unlikely that he's your man.

Hope this info is of some use to you
Best wishes
Lynn :(
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 30 October 06 10:07 GMT (UK) »
thaks for info you,r right he,s not the one I,ll keep searching.

cheers Denis :'(

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 30 October 06 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis

Sorry to neglect you, I've been at a funeral in Inverness and not been back too long.

Did you find any more on the Aberdeen family? Deaths would be difficult to trace at that time since it was before statutory registration. If you noticed, James Gunn (35-39) was born out of county - i.e. not Aberdeenshire.

This means looking for someone born 1802 - 1806.

Gadget

Offline banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 08:52 GMT (UK) »
morning lesley ;D
                            found a death for a margaret 1848 but james married christian in 1847 so it can,t be her.

cheers Denis