Author Topic: Buckham H Hossack Born Orkney Married 27/7/1875 Edinburgh to Sibla Monteith  (Read 13550 times)

Offline Patricia Baxter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buckham H Hossack Born Orkney Married 27/7/1875 Edinburgh to Sibla Monteith
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
Through researching family history have found I am distantly related to Buckham Hugh Hossack and I would be interested to find if anyone knows of or has any family connection to him.  As far as I can tell there is no one at the present time on Orkney with the name of Hossack which now appears unfortunately to have died out, although I could be wrong.
A son of Barbara and Sutherland Hossack who lived on Stronsay, I believe, emigrated to Canada - (possibly Halifax) around the beginning of 1900's.  Any information would be gratefully received.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 June 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
Confirming Sibla's birth/parents/siblings -

Sibla Rebecca Monteith, born 16 Oct 1854, bap 26 Jan 1855, parents Duncan and Margaret, abode Old Court House St,, fathers occpn. Boot and Harness maker, St Andrew's Church Calcutta.

Duncan Monteith married Margaret Paul, l4 September 1838, St Andrew's Church Calcutta.

Other children born to Duncan and Margaret
James Duncan 1841, Duncan 26 May 1843, Janet Margaret 14 Oct 1844, Walter Watson 8 Oct 1845, Agnes Isabella 15 Jul 1847 and Annie Lawrence 31 May 1852

The Edinburgh Evening News, 18 Oct 1892, has an item about Buckham Hugh Cossack and "Sibla Rebecca Monteith or Hossack, his wife..."

Offline lynen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for the interesting posts.
To confirm buckham huge hossack (born 1835 died 1902) married sibla rebeca Monteith in 1875. They build craigiefield house in orkney. They had no children. I hope orkney museum was helpful, if you still looking for a home for your item, I would be delighted to arrange it to be returned to the house they build together.
Further information about buckham huge hossack.
Buckham was one of five boys. He wrote the book 'Kirkwall in the orkney' while living at craigiefield house.
Robert campbell hossack born 1826 died 1901. He married Elizabeth Buchan Taylor. They had 8 children.
John david hossack born maybe 1930
Charles davidson hossack born 1828 . he married and had one daughter
Buckham born 1832 died 1834
 :)

Offline Gale Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 May 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

One of Buckham Hugh's brothers was Robert Campbell Hossack, He moved to Leith and lived there with his wife (Elizabeth) and children (d 1901) he was a ships' captain sailing out of Leith -there was another brother Charles Davidson Hossack (who married Louisa Moule and went off to America) and another John, who we think also emigrated from Scotland, but can't trace. Robert and Elizabeth had a number of children: Robert, Jessie, Hugh (a painter, married and moved to England somewhere, had one daughter we think), Campbell ( a writer to the signet here in Edinburgh - some kind of lawyer, never married), Jemima (Jim) and Mary (born blind) and William Taylor Hossack, who was my grandfather's father - lived in london, worked for the bank there I think. My grandfather was Arthur Henry Hossack. As far as I know Buckham and Sibla didn't have any children. I know Charles and Louisa did because one of their grandchildren was Sophie Maitland who I remember meeting as a young girl in Edinburgh (c 1970). Brother John, b 1830 disappears  - or at least I haven't found him. I've loads more info on Robert Campbell and all his family if you're interested. As a family we collect original editions of 'Kirkwall in the Orkneys'! Have found about 3 so far.

Offline Gale Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 May 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Through researching family history have found I am distantly related to Buckham Hugh Hossack and I would be interested to find if anyone knows of or has any family connection to him.  As far as I can tell there is no one at the present time on Orkney with the name of Hossack which now appears unfortunately to have died out, although I could be wrong.
A son of Barbara and Sutherland Hossack who lived on Stronsay, I believe, emigrated to Canada - (possibly Halifax) around the beginning of 1900's.  Any information would be gratefully received.

Patricia...you must be related via Sutherland and Barbara? I know one of their daughters (Elizabeth) married a Thomas Baxter in Grimsby? Sutherland and Barbara had 10 children - which one are you trying to trace? Charles went to Canada and married an Agnes Bews. James Sinclair also went to Canada and married an Annie Balfour, John Scott died in Kirkwall in 1870. Happy to share all info I have.  Gale

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Davy,  check out,

http://www.cursiter.com/

Skoosh.

Offline vickih65

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davy,
I wish I had found your post sooner. Sibla was married to my cousin Buckham Hugh Hossack. His father was my 4th great uncle. I have only started researching the past year and just came across your post. How wonderful that you found the communion table dedicated to Sibla. Has the table gone to the museum? Perhaps one day if I can visit I will make it a point to go see it. What an interesting thread this is for me. Thank you to all who have commented and added pieces to the history I am searching for!

Vicki Hossack

Offline Patricia Baxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 22:25 BST (UK) »
Gale Macleod, Yes, you are right.  Elizabeth Baxter nee Hossack married to Thomas Baxter was my great grandmother.  They had 15 children and I have managed to collect some information on each of them if you are interested.  Their eldest son Campbell Hossack Baxter was my grandfather.
Have been researching the Hossack family for quite a while now and it gets more and more interesting.  There are now three GG/Grandaughters found of Sutherland and Barbara Hossack;
Anne Menzies, Vicki Hossack and myself and we are in contact with each other.
Do you have links to the Hossack family?  I would be interested to share with you, Patricia.

Offline Patricia Baxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hossack family
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 June 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
To John Peace,
Thank you for replying and got the information.  I do have most of it with the exception of a few details which I can now add to the family tree.  It is really fascinating to put their story together.
Thanks again for your help,  Patricia Baxter