Author Topic: Henderson, age gap.  (Read 6583 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henderson, age gap.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 June 14 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is it the Finlay Ferguson b Killin 1840 that you have found? He is showing as shopman in 1871 and a spirit merchant in 1881 and unmarried.
The only Finlay Ferguson b Killin but born 1835 that I can see in 1861 is a lead miner living with his sister Janet.

I did have a look at the Glasgow Herald on the British Newspaper Archive but could not see anything about him. While on there I did find these two death notices from the Fife Herald which you might find of interest. 24 July 1862 - At Cupar on the 19th inst Mr John Brunton, builder aged 63 years. 25 April 1872 - At Southport on the 21st inst Margaret Brunton widow of the late John Brunton, builder Cupar.

I wonder if there was any sort of paternity suit re the birth of Janet Ferguson Henderson. To  establish if so it would probably mean a trip to the archives.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 June 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Yeah that's the ones I saw, in 1881 theres also a Duncan Ferguson living with him - also a lodger and spirit merchant, possible relation?

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 June 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can see a Duncan Ferguson age 8 in the 1861 census in Clifton Village with mother Elizabeth 40. pauoer and domestic servant and siblings Peter, Alexander 6 Sarah 4 and Elizabeth1. There are a couple of births on Family Search in Killin for Alexander and Elizabeth of the right year with parents named as John Ferguson and Elizabeth McNab.

1871 Duncan Ferguson seems to be a shepherd.  1891 back with mother in Killin in Clifton and siblings in Clifton Village and showing as a railway labourer.

Note that in 1881 Duncan and Finlay have the G for Gaelic sign. The 1861 censuses for both in Clifton Village also have G for Gaelic. Could they be brothers? Frustratingly cannot find Finlay in1851 census or other likely Fergusons in Killin.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 June 14 23:21 BST (UK) »

Frustratingly cannot find Finlay in1851 census or other likely Fergusons in Killin.

William, with all your hard work here, just adding this possible 1851 census entry:

John Gerguson 49 Hand Loom Weaver b. Kenmore, perthsh
Dond Ferguson 24 lead miner b. Kenmore, perthsh
Janat Ferguson 22 b. Kenmore, perthsh
Peter Ferguson 19 tailor b. Kenmore, perthsh
Finlay Ferguson 16 b. Kenmore, perthsh
Christy Ferguson 15 b. Kenmore, perthsh
Margt Ferguson 11 b. Killin, perthsh
John Mcdiarmid 16 visitor tailor b. Killin, perthsh

Address: New Street, Clifton, Killin

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 June 14 08:22 BST (UK) »
Good find Monica. It took me ages to locate it after reading your post!

I can now see a birth for a Finlay Fergusson in Killin 2 Sept 1834 Parents John Fergusson and Janet Fergusson. There is also a birth for Peter Fergusson 10 March 1832 with same parents.

And using the Fergusson spelling there is a marriage of John Fergusson and Elizabeth McNab in Killin 12 Dec 1852.

Now struggling to find them in 1841 census!

William

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 June 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
Not surprising, William. I think this is 1841 as transcribed (haven't checked FreeCen, might also show there):

John Jupinon 39 miner lead
Catherine Jupinon 16
Duncan Jupinon 10
Peter Jupinon 9
Finlay Jupinon 6
Christian Jupinon 5
Alex Jupinon 3
Peggy Jupinon 1

Address: Clifton Village, Killin

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 June 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Killin is not on freecen for 1841 yet but have found them on FindMyPast ... and transcribed as Fergusson. Given that there is no sign of a wife of John Ferguson in either 1841 or 1851, might he have remarried in 1852?

There is a death coming up on Scotlands People in 1860 for a John Fergusson in Strathfillan district b 1802 . Might be worth having a look at.

William

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 June 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for the help. Need to go over it all. I had no idea that's what the (G) on the census meant, was wondering about that, thanks.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 June 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just had a look at the wills index on Scotland's People and the following one caught my eye " Ferguson Finlay 05/12/1889 Sometime spirit dealer Glasgow, afterwards residing at Clifton, Tyndrum, D 17/06/1889 at Callander, testate. Court Dunblane Sheriff Court". The index says that there are 10 pages. It might be worth the 10 credits to download and if the correct Finlay his death cert should confirm parents names.

Doing a search for Finlay Ferguson d Callander 1889 comes up with a birth year of 1837. To go back to the subject of your thread if all the records uncovered are for the same Finlay he does seem to have been inconsistent with his age!

If it does turn out to be the correct Finlay do let us know!

William