Author Topic: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919  (Read 93191 times)

Offline dsdouglas

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919
« Reply #153 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a great uncle - Robert Douglas -  who was killed in action on 24/3/1918.  His town of residence was given as Hawick although he was born in Seline in Fife.  I have found out he is a Private with service number 235234.  I have found out from Forces War Records that he was in the Seaforth Highlanders but I can find no record in their Role of Honour.  Is he mentioned in your grandfather's book. 

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned you couldn't find Robert Douglas Roll of Honor - check the Rolls at Edinburgh Castle their a full set of the Scottish Regiments there also check out the Museum Archive at the Castle - if you have his Number there can trace them.

Also check out the Commonwealth War Grave Commissions Website - it very good for trace men who died in action - whether they bried o out - the list of Killed are engraved on several monuments.

I use both the Castle and the CWGC when looking for my great uncle William Hunter (Seaforth Highlanders) who killied in France 1917 and his body was never found - even got info on the battle he died in.

If I get time I'll check the book for robert.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Monday 27 January 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
did a bit of digging on the CWGC site  - robert douglas died at the Somme - he is mentioned on pozieres memorial panel 72 & 73

Offline robsharp1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Might be a long shot but I have a couple of relatives who died in ww1 that came from Hawick. They were:

Private Samuel Latham
 134869 Royal Engineers Z Special (Flamethrower) Company
 Died of Wounds 25th July 1918, aged 32.

and

Private William Latham
 358116 2/10th Liverpool (Scottish) Regiment
 Died from gas 24th June 1919, aged 31

I have been told there is abit about them in the Hawick newspapers from the time but have not been able to find this info on the net.
Please can anyone help with more info on these two lads?
Thankyou in advance.

Offline AlbertJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I am a member of the Kirkheaton Family History Group who is researching the names on the Local War Memorial.  Alexander Stavert is listed on the memorial.  Detailed below is what our research has found to date.
Born      4 June 1884 at Hawick, Roxburgh, Scotland
Married      Jane Ann - ,
Parents      Alexander(b1839) & Margaret(b1842)
Siblings      Margaret E(b1867),Thomas(b1872),Elizabeth(b1874),John H(b1877)
Enlisted      living at 322 Greenside, Dalton?
   Royal Navy (Volunteer Reserve)
   Ordinary Seaman - No London Z/9726
Army Records   Missing
Died   Died of Disease 6 October 1918 aged 34 at London General Hospital
Buried   1396 - Wilton Cemetry, Hawick, Roxburghshire
Further Information
Widow Jane Anne living at 5 Waverley Cottages, Hawick

Can you add to this research.

Many Thanks

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Thursday 06 February 14 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I`ve just finished reading all of this. Thank you to all who have contributed and you ,Bougie for all your work.

My grandfather Adam Black born 6th April 1893 at 17 Loan Hawick, served in the Great War; thankfully he survived and lived unitl 1985. His medals say he was in the RA which as a family we were amazed by as we thought he might have been in the Lincolnshire Regiment. He lived in Lincolnshire from 1913,had 2 forays to Australia, to live with family there and back to Lincolnshire.

However, what I was going to ask, if you have time, would his half-brother Alexander Black born October 1881 Selkirk, lived in Hawick at the time of the 1891 census, be in your book.
Thanks

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Thursday 06 February 14 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, re Adam Black I should have put 4th April 1893 at 26 Bridge Street Hawick

Offline jamesstuart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Bougie/Sheena,

I've just joined Rootschat because a web search led me to your book: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919, and your kind offer to search for names.

I hate to add to your burden, but if you could spare the time, would it be possible to see if my Grandfather James Harvey is in your book. He was born in Kinross on 28 March 1886, but had moved to Hawick by 1891, and was married to Jane Scott Moffat. The 1911 census records their address as 3 Teviot Row. No-one in the family can tell me which regiment he was in, but I remember my Gran fondly speaking of the KOSBs so perhaps.....

He died when I was 14 so I wasn't of an age to ask questions, and I believe he didn't speak much of his experiences anyway - certainly my older cousins can't help out. I do know he was wounded because he would joke that he was shot in the a**e running away. I've attached a photo of him and his family if that is of use.

Please accept my thanks if you can help at all.

Best wishes, James

Offline jojo1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for Richard McGowan - now im really unsure if he served in WW1.  I have found his record for signing up with the army (KOSB) in 1893 and in 1895, but no record of him serving in WW1, medals etc.
I think there is a photo of him in the book, but is it really him?
Any info is appreciated

Thanks