Author Topic: Joseph Roland Brennan  (Read 7878 times)

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Roland Brennan
« on: Thursday 09 May 13 09:32 BST (UK) »
Joseph died 2 Mar 1953in Annagheloon Oughterard Co Galway Ireland - he was married to Clarice Rovena dob 1898. I can find no trace of her death and assume she is buried with her husband.
Can anyone advice how I can find where Joseph is buried?
Many Thanks
Richview

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Roland Brennan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
Obit on Medical News in 1953 shows place of death as Anacloon. There is a fishing location called Annaghcloon Point which may be the correct area
(editted to add, going to check that may actually be Annaghclough point)

Joseph's wife's name was Clarice Rovena MORITMER
There is a marriage in Kent in 1938 and a newspaper announcement in Cornwall for the same year
Clarice is shown as "of Elliskit, Forth Navas near Falmouth", Cornwall

I may be able to look up the newspapers from 1953 later to see if there is a death notice with more information for you
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.
Clarice Rovena Lawrence married an older man called John Harold Mortimer he died in 1933 and was taken by his yacht for burial at sea. I found her change of name on her mothers probate papers
I can find no trace of her death in the UK & assumed she stayed in Ireland. I thought locate husbands grave & I may find Clarice.
I'll check the marriage now.

R

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

You may be able to get some information here re local cemeteries

http://oughterardheritage.org/index.aspx

I think Irish BMDs online only go to 1958

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
I've been following that route for one lost relative for quite a while with no luck so far unfortunately

Marraige to Joseph Roland BRENNAN was on August 2nd 1838
Medway Kent Jul-Sep 1938 2A/3402
As he was from Kenmare Co. Kerry there are several options for burial
I will try to get to the papers in the Library this afternoon and look for you
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
Oh dear that's a shame!
Good luck with the papers  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.
This is my first research in Ireland so I am rather lost! Ex surgeon Royal Navy I should imagine he has a grand headstone somewhere!
Your help is very much appreciated.
R

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
Looked up newspapers and there were two short death notices in the Irish Times and Irish Independent both of which read the same

Tues March 3rd 1953
BRENNAN, March 2 1953 at his residence, Annacloon, Oughterard, Surgeon Captain, J.R. Brennan RN (Ret'd) Beloved husband of Rovena. Funeral arrangements later. English Papers please copy.

Wed March 4th 1953
BRENNAN, March 2 1953 at his residence, Annacloon, Oughterard, Surgeon Captain, J.R. Brennan RN (Ret'd) Beloved husband of Rovena. Funeral in Oughterard after service in Oughterard Church at 2.30pm today (Wednesday) English Papers please copy.

Followed by an acknowledgment on March 12th 1953
There did not seem to be any obituary or other newspaper piece at the time or any other reference to Joseph Roland Brennan at all.

I found a piece from 1918 in the West Cornwall News that I believe refers to Clarice as the soloist at a fundraiser in Praze.

The link that Heywood posted is probably the best avenue to follow to find out where in Oughterard Joseph was buried. His will was published in 1953 with Clarice R., his widow, the beneficiary of his estate worth £2,786/14/4 which was a substancial sum at the time.

The fact that Clarice was still quite young (55 approx) if she remained in Ireland her death maybe after 1959; this is the cut off point for searching on-line. You can search the original records by year which means either a long trawl or requiring further information.

There are Wills on-line up to 1982 that can be useful to try and locate a person's death between 1960 and 1982, but only reliable for those that had effects that went through probate. Clarice does not seem to appear on this list.

Some options are that Clarice remarried or that she returned to England, however I would expect to see her death on the UK records by 2006 (aged 108). She may have imigrated to another country either!

I am not based in Galway so cannot look in the cemetery, finding someone who can to confirm Joseph's burial and who else may be in the same plot is probably where to start.
Further generations:

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 13 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to look up all the records. Yes she may well have remarried - her first husband left £51000+ in 1933!
I will look into all the links & see if I can find his resting place. Will let you know.
Thanks again.
R