Author Topic: Fitzpatricks of Belturbet  (Read 7654 times)

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitzpatricks of Belturbet
« on: Friday 28 December 07 03:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Daniel Fitzpatrick and Mary Cosgrove (my g-g-grandparents) from Derryvona a few miles north of Belturbet.  They had  the following children:
James c1840, Philip c1850, Michael c1855 who emmigrated to Gympie, Australia to mine gold in the years between 1860's and 1880's, Hugh c1844 who emmigrated to America and became a policeman in New York, Patrick who married Bridget Cassidy, Mary who possibly married a Nolan and Thomas.
If anyone can provide any other information I would greatly appreciate it.
Kath
Swepson - Australia, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire
Papworth - Huntingdonshire
Fitzpatrick - Australia, Derravona Co Cavan, Ireland
Hennessey - Mullinahone, Co Tipperary, Ireland
Hickes - Fiji, Cornwall, Glocestershire
Foster - Fiji, Samoa, Germany

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzpatricks of Belturbet
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 07 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hugh Fitzpatrick (1842-1920) wife Maria Hussey and lots of their children are in Pedigree Resource File at www.familysearch.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 07 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, I do have those details.  Marie was Hugh's 2nd wife, 1st wife was Emma surname unknown.  I am in contact with  descendants of Hugh,  James and Michael, and I am a descendant of Philip.  We are however, trying to find out more about Daniel and Mary, as yet we have no siblings or parents for them.
Regards Kath

Offline orchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Kath
Regarding Mary Fitzpatrick. My Grandfathers Brother Patrick Orchard married a Mary Fitzpatrick in Cavan 1915. She was from Barrack Hill, Belturbet, Cavan.
Don't know if this is the person your looking for
Regards
Barbara

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 09 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately I don't think this is my Mary.  I was recently in Belturbet and I am aware of a Fitzpatrick family in Barrack Hill who are not related to me.  Fitzpatrick is the most common name in this area so it is a little like looking for a needle in a haystack!  I did manage to find more members of Daniel and Mary's (Cosgrove) family which I will list here.  It is possible that there were actually 13 children from family stories, but as records are poor we may never know who the others were:

Patrick c1837 - 21 Aug 1912 buried in Staghall, Belturbet
James c1839 - 1879 in Sydney Australia but remains were taken back to Belturbet and buried in family plot in Staghall, James also owned Drummard House, Clones, Co Fermananagh for a period of time before returning to Australia
Hugh c1841 - 1920 buried New York City USA
John c1846 - ?
Mary c1850 - married Charles Nolan and possibly lived in Carrickmacross during 1890's
Philip c1851 - 1924 buried in Australia
Rosanna c1852 - ?
Michael c1854 - 1899 buried in Australia
Daniel c1858 - ?
Thomas birth year unknown

Many thanks and kind regards
Kath

Offline larry.hawks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 March 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barbara,
I am contacting you to let you know that I have a number of items belonging to the Fitzpatrick family, I believe these are your grandfathers (SJT.P Orchard R.IR. Fus 9137) war medal, a victory medal to who I think is Mary's brother Patrick Fitzpatrick (13-5987 PTE. P. Fitzpatrick North.D FUS) and three photo albums of what I believe to be of the Orchard & Fitzpatrick family.

I was given the medals by my wife's father only a couple of days ago! (2014) and wanted to research them and found this post.

I would like to return these items to your family if you so wish. Why you may ask yourself, well I have also been looking for my own great grandfathers medals but as such have not been able to find them. I live in london and have the medals here with me, but the photo albums are in Dundalk. I have asked my father in law if he would be happy to return these items to you and we are both in agreement that it would be nice for your family to have these records. I am new to the website so hope you will be able to message be directly and I can pass on my contact details to you, so we maybe able to get these items back to you.

Looking forward to your reply and many kind regards,
Lawrence Hawker

PS, all the above items were rescued from a house demolition  around 20 years ago the house was at Barrack hill Cavan

Offline Bilsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 August 14 03:46 BST (UK) »
I am the great great grand daughter of James Fitzpatrick. I have knowledge of him in Gympie Queensland as I live 80 Kms away. James had a son Patrick and he is my great grandfather, his daughter Patricia is my grandmother. Any info would be fantastic.

Kellie Percy

Offline Bilsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 August 14 03:49 BST (UK) »
I can be emailed on kellie.percy@live.com.au as that's a direct contact. Larry I would live to see some of the information you have if you still have it....