Author Topic: Seeking Roach and/or Donkin families  (Read 13487 times)

Offline Uregirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seeking Roach and/or Donkin families
« on: Monday 03 May 10 07:25 BST (UK) »
I live in New Zealand and have established through a death certificate that my gt gt Grandmother was from Ireland.

I am looking for connections / information on her or her family especially in Ireland. This is the detail I currently have on her:

Adelia Briget Roach b.approx.1842 in Kilkenny, Ireland. Father's name on death certificate is listed as Phillip Roach, occupation "Magistrate".

She arrived in New Zealand approx. 1863. Married to Henry Donkin when she was 22 yrs old. I believe they married in Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand in 1864.

I know that they lived in the Thames area, New Zealand for some of their marriage and they worked in the Gold Mines.

She died 27/12/1920 in Auckland, New Zealand.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Scotland; Lanarkshire; Shotts - Surnames: Ure; Gray; Hughes; Shaw
New Zealand; Thames - Surnames: Donkin; Roach; Drouin; Plummer; Trotter
Ireland; Kilkenny - Surnames: Donkin; Roach
Canada - Surnames: Drouin

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Roach and/or Donkin families
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
Most of Kilkenny church records are online on www.irish-roots.ie. It's a pay to view site but you can search for free. A quick search shows no record for your Adelia Bridget.
You could try the LDS pilot search www.familysearch.org.
Griffiths Valuation taken mid 1800s shows no Philip Roach in Kilkenny so perhaps he had died.
As for the surname Donkin, I think maybe it's a corruption of Duncan?
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Online luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation of c 1850 shows a Philip Roche at Shankill,Kilkenny.This is the usual spelling for the name in Ireland.The IFHF shows 36 births/bapttisms in Kilkenny,where child's father was named Philip Roach/Roche.The name Adelia does not occur,but it sometimes happened that children who were known by this given name-usually Delia-had a different baptism name-say Mary.It is possible that her baptism was in a parish with a late start for records.If you knew her mother's name you might find siblings.Good luck.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 May 10 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm helping someone at present with this DONKIN family
wondering if you know whether Henry's parents were Margaret Cole (Margaretta) and Ralph Donkin who married in 1817 England

Bye
Althea

Offline Uregirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 May 10 04:03 BST (UK) »
There are 3 of us in NZ who met through a message board and are all researching Donkins. We each come from separate children of Adelia Roach and Henry Donkin. Henry had approx. 9 children and we believe that he named his  first son Ralph.  We think that his brother was called Ralph as we have Henry (aged 32) and Ralph Donkin (aged 36) arriving in NZ in 1857 on the Messenger.
That would mean that Ralph's birth would have been approx. 1821 and Henry's birth approx. 1825. We are still hunting for Certificates that link Henry and Ralph and prove their parentage. I would be happy to pass on anything new that could assist you as it comes in :).

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 May 10 04:56 BST (UK) »
That would be good
I'll let the researcher know I'm helping - that you have some messages here
I looked at the Thames Advertiser today at death for Margaretta Donkin in England, but sadly didn't give family details as to who put notice in.
Also if I can pass her name on via PM

Have you been to the Treasury site for Thames
http://www.thetreasury.org.nz/Resources.htm
Half way down is the pioneer register if you are interested in submitting a form, so that your name is on file..so far no one researching Donkin officially
If you do send it back to PO Box 75 THames or you can scan and email to me, I can give you my email via PM messaging

BYe
Althea

Offline Mence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 10 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I too am chasing the lineage thread from Henry Donkin and Bridget Adelia one of Bridgets 9 children was Eleanor Hindall who married Samuel McDonald Fairley my Grandmothers parents.
Regards
Peter Mence

(*) Moderator Comment: phone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Mence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
It seems that this is the same Henry Donkin that was found guilty of abandoning his wife and nine children - not sure what his magistrate father in law would have made of that!
Bridget Adelia, Eleanor Hindall (spelling from my Grandmother's birth cert but anything goes) and Samuel McDonald Fairley all apparently lived in Tararu Rd, Thames.
Eleanor & Samel's marriage cert lists Samuel as "Farley" so is difficult to search.
My Grandmother's birth certificate lists Samuels's occupation as "miner".
My Grandmother was Edith Donkin Mence (nee Fairley).

I believe that Edith knew the Roach family and worked for them for some time before her marriage to Jack Ronald Mence.

Hope this helps
Peter

Offline Uregirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 00:16 BST (UK) »
 ;D Welcome to the family.  As you will have noted from an earlier post, there are 3 of us searching and we each connect through separate children of Henry and Adelia.  I have much that I am happy to share with you.  We have concluded for instance that your Eleanor Hindle Donkin and my great grandfather Thomas Cole Donkin were twins.  I am currently waiting for a certificate that should back up this theory.  I am happy to continue but emailing may be a better form of communication so I will PM you my email address.
Regards
Allie (uregirl)