Author Topic: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny  (Read 32729 times)

Offline Burtch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 March 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all. I just now received a nudge from RootsChat, notifying me of this recent sharing. Somehow I'd been skipped when Linda from Canada was inquiring about my brother Father * Burtchaell.

He is retired, living in his Order's retirement community at The University of Notre Dame. Sadly, he now has progressed into a dementia that would prevent him from further participating in researching our family’s past. I now have all his research papers.

Katherine, looks like you may be onto your Archdall/Gore question. Good luck.

Ken, I have tried to attach some exterior pictures of Brandondale, our family home, (even Google Streets has them), and also have some of the Burtchaell grave sites, but RootsChat refused them because of size. The family home is so large, it took two pictures for me to get it all in frame!

Robert Kinney Burtchaell

Moderator Note : details of living person removed as per RootChat privacy policy.

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Ken, this is great!  Distant cousins. This is especially great for Katharine, after I promised to help her trace your ancestress and then dropped the ball because of the Holiday Season and numerous other excuses.  When I was trying to help Father Jim trace the Canadian Burtchaell’s, it was really hard to get info on Archdall and his descendants. 
Benjamin Burton Burtchaell’s daughter Catherine (Kate) married Joseph Heard.  Their daughter Hazel Heard married Harry Everett and moved to Bracebridge, Muskoka.  Their daughter Virginia Everett joined the RCAF and was stationed in Patricia Bay on Vancouver Island where she met and married my father John Olafsen.  That’s me:  Linda Jane Catherine Burtchaell Olafsen (now Ford).
Too bad my Auntie Susie, my mother’s sister, died in Bracebridge in October.  I bet she never met you and I bet she would have loved to.  She and my Auntie Di were in Ireland at Graigue not too many years ago.  I shall have to see what I can do to put you in touch with Di or her daughter Sherry.  They are in the Hamilton area.  Shortly you will be able to get privileges on this site and we can exchange email addresses.
You really need to get a copy of Father Jim’s genealogy. He worked on it for much of his adult life, and it is a thorough work.  I wonder if Bob still has copies available for sale? 
Linda

Offline RobertMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 February 13 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I saw a posting from Carolanne about her gr.gr grandfather Peter Burtchaell (born feb 20 1841) who married Maria Gerard.  Peter is the brother to my gr grandmother Mary Jane Burtchell (born in Newark NJ)!  Peter and Mary Jane's father and mother was David and Jane Burtchaell.  David was born 20 Apr 1812 in Ireland.  And David, Jane, and 1 year old Peter came to US in 1842.  They lived in Newark NJ (1850 Census).  It seems that David had maybe 13 brothers and sisters (from what appears to be birth/marriage records copied out of what seems like a Burtchaell family bible, long ago).  All of the names were spelled Burtchaell.  I've never determined from where in Ireland they were from.  I've always speculated it was somewhere near Thomastown in Kilkenny.

Do I have a connection to other people on this board?

Thank you very much,
Bob

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Yes we PROBABLY are distantly related.  I have the extensive history researched by Fr Jim Burtchaell and referred to by Robert Burtchaell in an earlier post in this thread.  I have found David Burtchaell married to Jane Walpole in 1835.  They are listed with six children:  Albert, Edward, Mamie, Anna, Lottie and David. No Peter or Mary Jane but maybe Fr Jim just didn't find them.  Could Mamie be Mary Anne? (There are also a Peter and Mary of the previous generation, born to Sir David Burtchaell and Jane Dames, but they are too old to be yours and Mary died a spinster.) Do you have any additional information that would help me?

Linda

Offline RobertMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 February 13 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda, my records for David Burtchaell/Jane Walpole match your information.  Here is some additional information.  Can you share your information?

Children of Peter Burtchaell (b circa 1790) and Sarah (Pendegrass?) who were married February 26th 1811.

Marriage (from my Great Grandfather's bible)
Peter Burtchell To Sarah Burtchell (might be Pendegrass) Feb 26th 1811
David Burtchell To Jane Burtchell (could be Jane Walpole) Feb 1835 (note: my Grandfather's middle name was Walpole)
Cathern Burtchell To Feb 1833
Annie Burtchell To Aug 8th 1835

Births (from my Great Grandfather's bible)
David Burtchell Born April 20th 1812
Jane Burtchell  Born Jan 6th 1814
Catherin Burtchell Born June 18th 1816
Annie Burtchell Born March 12th 1818

Burtchaell Records on handwritten paper.  All of the dates are before the Burtchaells arrived US. Must have been copied out of an earlier bible.

Side 1
Peter Burtchaell born July 18 1819
Mary Burtchaell born May 14, 1821.   Married February 16th 1841 (doesn't mention groom)
Eliza Burtchaell born February 1st 1823
William Burtchaell born Feb 8 1825
Robert Burtchaell born November 30th 1827
Michars Burtchaele born December 11th 1829

Side 2
Thomas Burtchaell born March 1, 1830
John Burtchaell born August 1 1831
George Burtchaell Born 12 May 1833
Sara Burtchaell Born May 15 1835
Emilia Burtchaell born September 27 1838

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 February 13 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have found your great grandfather on my family history. Unfortunately, I only have this in two forms:  paper and pdf.  I can't figure out how to copy that info into this reply.   Are you new to this site?  Are you able to post private messages yet?  If so, send me a message with your personal email address and I will give you more details. 

Linda

Offline SUSANBLAKE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 April 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
Can someone help me fill in the blanks here as I'm only starting out on my mothers side of the tree ::)

G.Mother-- Margaret Keeffe or O'Keeffe married Joseph McCullagh -- Kilkenny
G.Gran Mother _ Mary Coogan (Gowran 1874) married ? Keeffe  or O'Keeffe _ kilkenny -- 3 Children
G.G.Grand Mother _ Margaret Burtchaell married Patrick Coogan -- 4 Child

1. Cant find a record of Margaret and Patrick's marriage
2. Could this Margaret be the daughter of Archdall Burtchaell as I cant find any Information on her.
3. Which (O') Keeffe did Mary Coogan marry and what happened to him as he's not on the census.
Any bit of information would help.

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 April 13 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I see you are writing from the UK, so I assume your part of the Burtchaell family never left Ireland.  Note there is ongoing confusion about Archdall’s marriages.  He appears to have been legally married to a Hannah Gore who was quite a bit older than he, but he came to Canada with a woman named Maria, who her descendants thought was a Gore, but there appears to be no marriage record for them in Ireland or Canada.  So, at this point we don’t know whether Maria was a Gore, a Doyle or a Howitt.

Father Jim Burtchaell, who did the extensive genealogy document from which I take my information, has this note regarding ARCHDALL BURTCHAELL and MARY HOWITT:

“The paternity of Margaret B Burtchaell as recorded here is conjectural.  The baptismal register of the Duiske Abbey Church (Catholic) in Graiguenamanah records the baptism of a Margaret B. Burtchaell, born 28/3/1852 to “Archbold” Burtchaell and Mary Howitt.  The father’s given name is quite unusual, and fits ill with all the Murphys and Corcorans and other conventionally Catholic names with which the clan of Catholic Burtchaells in Graig intermarried.  It may well be a confusion for Archdall Burtchaell, son of Augusta Byrn and Patrick Burtchaell.  Archdall was born in November 1824 and would have been 27 at the time of Margaret’s birth.  He was one of those who later emigrated to Canada and did not return.  He is reported as having married a woman named Gore.  This is mentioned because of a longstanding recollection among the Catholic Burtchaells from Graig that one of the Protestant Burtchaells had gotten a local Catholic girl pregnant.

“More about Archdall Burtchaell and Mary Howitt:  Friends:  1851.”

Please keep me abreast of anything more you might learn.

Linda Ford

Offline SUSANBLAKE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 April 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda, I PM you.