Author Topic: Wright - Ballylisk and Portadown area  (Read 10076 times)

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
Wright - Ballylisk and Portadown area
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I have a Wright family from Ballylisk in  the Portadown area who I am trying to find out more about. I have just started working on my husband's family tree and I know that his maternal gt-grandfather was Thomas George "Tommy" Wright who died in 1968 in Ballylisk. He used to own a small shop and farm at the corner of Mullavilly Road and Tandragee Road; most of which is now the Ballylisk car dealership. My husband would love to hear anything people can tell about him, or to receive any information about this branch of the Wright family that people can share. We'd love to know more of the family story!

For now,
OzJen (Sydney)
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wright - Ballylisk and Portadown area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Thomas George Wright married Mary Gilmore in Tartaraghan Church of Ireland, Lurganon 4 Nov 1919.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
In the 1911 census there are actually 2 Thomas George Wrights around the same age!
1) age 28, living with mother in Ballylisk
2) age 24, living with parents in Derrykeevan
Both families are Church of Ireland.

Ten years earlier the 2 Thomas Wrights are listed with their families-
1) Thomas listed with parents in Ballylisk
2) Thomas G. in Derrykeevan

Since there are so many Thomas Wrights in the area you need to be very careful not to get confused when searching through any records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info and the caution, aghadowey. We've followed up the census documents and it is definitely the Thomas George Wright from Ballylisk that we're after ...

We know that he married Lillie Ann Ruddell, my husband's grandmother, and assume it was somewhere in a Chuirch of Ireland, perhaps in Portadown, possibly around 1923.

For now,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 11 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Sending you a PM
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline Lyttle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 January 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello OzJen.  Sent details in private message.

Cheers,

Jim

Moderator's Note: copyright image removed
Portadown

Offline amycargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I am also looking for WRIGHT's in the area of Portadown.  My great grandmother was Mary Jane Wright, born 14 June 1863, daughter of James Wright and Jane Davidson.  They were married 14 June 1849 at Loughall Church.  This is all that I know of the family.

My grandmother and 2 of her sisters left Portadown in the 1920s and relocated to Philadelphia, PA, USA.  I am sort of cut off from the family information so any help i can get would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, my great aunt married a Joseph Ruddell in Portadown...

Thank you,
Amy
Cargill, Boath, Menmuir, Hogg, Balfour, Monro, Shepherd, Bannerman, Hutcheson, Rhind, Stewart, Anderson, Duncan, Low, White, McNab, Stirling, Fyfe, Smith, Cramond, Willsone, Brown, Joyce, McPherson/MacPherson,McPhee, MacDougal, Clifford, McCulloch

Offline James Harvey Ruddell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 September 14 02:48 BST (UK) »
I am trying to reach Amy Cargill. I hope this somehow gets through to Amy. There was a "Miss Cargill" of Duluth(Minnesota?) who visited John Henry Ruddell and William George Ruddell in Morden Manitoba around 1904. The local Mord en Newspaper had a clip about it that says John Henry and William George were her cousins.

George Ruddell of Clinton Ontario was the father of John and William. We don't know of any brother or sister of George Ruddell senior. Family legend has it that George and a brother came from Armagh together!

Any other person who might read this and have some information please share!

Thanks
James Harvey Ruddell

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 September 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
 I grew up in Ballylisk ,my family moved there in the 1970s and I used to work in the shop after school. the shop was owned by Shortts and was on the ground floor of the house that I think belonged to Wrights. there are still wrights in the Ballylisk area but not sure if they are connected. the junction ( now a roundabout) at the Mullavilly road and tandragee road was always known as "wright's crossroads"  There is a CoI church in Mullavilly and in Tandragee ( 2 miles away)