Author Topic: King / Edgar  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
King / Edgar
« on: Tuesday 04 February 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Firstly I must apologize if anything that follows is a repeat on previous postings. I'm only getting back into the research after a long break.
My Great Grandfather Michael Alfred King age 28 married Margaret Edgar age 23 on 30/01/1886 in Bessbrook Presbyterian church. No exact address has been entered on the marriage certificate except Bessbrook which could mean it was just a temporary address but, why Bessbrook? He was from Whitehaven in Cumberland and she - well, I can't find any Edgars in the area.
Her father was Hamilton Edgar (labourer) and the witnesses were James Edgar and Minnie Edgar ( obviously relatives of hers but which?) Again no record of these names in Bessbrook.
What is even more confusing is their first child born was born and died in Nov 1886 in Newcastle
-upon Tyne and neither of them appear on any records again until 1890 in Belfast, where they remained until death.
Any input would be grateful - names, addresses, suggestions,etc.

Regards

jardiner

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: King / Edgar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
A John Hamilton Edgar, farmer,  from Drumnahoney Belleek Co Armagh witnessed a will which I've located as part of my own family history research.  Drumnahoney is only about 4-5 miles from Bessbrook.  I have managed to find this John Hamilton Edgar on the 1901 census - he is listed as John H Edgar - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Balleek/Drumnahoney/1035064/

This might help widen the search for you, if its the same family

good luck

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I also found on rootsireland.ie a birth record for a Minnie King in 1888 in Co. Antrim
(F) Michael KING and (M) Margaret EDGAR

Link to closest civil record match
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks plumyone & myluck  I will follow that info up and see if it takes me in the right direction. Minnie King is my great Aunt, born in Belfast and subsequently emigrated to Canada. I know it says co Antrim and that does causes problems.Belfast is divided in 2 by the river Lagan and one side of the city is in Co Down and the other,along with the actual centre,is in Co Antrim. So you could have a relative born / died on the Co Down side but the event is registered in the central offices in Belfast and so all documents will show Belfast,Co Antrim.

Jardiner

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Posted in error. Sorry

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Jardiner
If Minnie was born in Belfast this places the family there in 1888 and brings you back from 1890!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 19:48 GMT (UK) »
May not be relevant to your case but I have seen Edgar and Eagar used interchangeably in my Armagh research so be sure to look for both.

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
It's one of those strange situations we find ourselves in - I know from other pieces of documentation that Minnie King was indeed born in 1887/88 and indeed these do indicate it was Belfast. However, on checking through the Belfast Street directories the earliest I find them listed is in 1890. So before I would spend any money on getting a birth certificate I would need to have an exact address - It's possible they were living outside the Belfast boundry  but the birth may have been in a Belfast hospital and therefore registered in the City. Do you have the address for Minnie King at the time of birth?