Author Topic: Samuel Thornton  (Read 1819 times)

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Thornton
« on: Saturday 15 February 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
 ::) ::) ::)
Please, I would appreciate a look-up for the Baptism of:
Samuel Thornton, born circa 1786 at Whitchurch-on-Thames, Berkshire.   Information found on the 1851 census (in the census he was living away from Berkshire).

Very Many thanks - Margaretmarion
Henley/Hindley (Ldn/Lancs/St. Helena)), Cozens, Griffiths (Welsh border Counties) Horwood, Pardon, Allen, Dyson (Yks),  Barron (Yks), Saunders (Yks/Nfk), Stubbings (Nfk), Silverwood, Hardy, Dakin, Granger, Bonsor (Lnd/Wrks), Tedder, Thirkhill-ell (Yorkshire), Dakin, Barron, Renton (Island of St. Helena, Norfolk), Bonsor (Bethnal Green & Warcks), William Clough (soldier died 1796)., Wrentham (Suffolk)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Thornton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 14 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've checked the Oxfordshire FHS CD of Whitchurch parish records and there are no Thorntons listed. I'm assuming this is the place you mean? Its the only Whitchurch on Thames I know of.

Have you found him in any other censuses and, if so, is he consistently giving Whitchurch as his birthplace?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 14 09:25 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D :D
Thank you SO much Jill for the reply - so quickly, too.
Unfortunately, Samuel Thornton died before the 1861 census, so all I have to go on is what he states on the 1851 - Whitchurch on Thames, Berkshire.   Perhaps the county boundary has moved or perhaps he was born in Whitchurch and was baptised elsewhere (Oxfordshire/Berkshire?) - as always in family history, so many "perhaps" and dead-ends.
I'll have to think about this one.
Thank you again - best wishes, Margaretmarion
Henley/Hindley (Ldn/Lancs/St. Helena)), Cozens, Griffiths (Welsh border Counties) Horwood, Pardon, Allen, Dyson (Yks),  Barron (Yks), Saunders (Yks/Nfk), Stubbings (Nfk), Silverwood, Hardy, Dakin, Granger, Bonsor (Lnd/Wrks), Tedder, Thirkhill-ell (Yorkshire), Dakin, Barron, Renton (Island of St. Helena, Norfolk), Bonsor (Bethnal Green & Warcks), William Clough (soldier died 1796)., Wrentham (Suffolk)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I notice from the 1851 census that Samuel is listed as from Berks, Whitchurch. I can see why you would assume that must be Whitchurch on Thames because its only across the river from Berks.

Its possible that Samuel doesn't appear in the Whitchurch on Thames parish church baptisms because either his parents didn't have him baptised, or possibly they did but were nonconformists.

There are places called Whitchurch in Shropshire and Buckinghamshire but I think your most likely one is in Hampshire as it is very close to the border with Berkshire. It might be worth posting on the Hampshire Board to see if anyone can help.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Jill, I shall try Hampshire, then Shropshire and Buckinghamshire, if no luck with Hampshire.

best wishes - Margaretmarion    ;) ;) ;)

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D
Thank you to everyone who has endeavoured to help me with my Thornton research.   I think I shall have to "regroup" and look at my past research.

Many thanks, again - margaretmarion

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
Once you have regrouped let me know if any of your Thorntons hit the north east. Mine are in Northumberland.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Whitchurch on Thames is now in Oxfordshire, as most of it always has been - however, in days gone by it did have a small part in Berkshire.  After they invented County Councils in the 1880s parishes straddling county boundaries became a problem - so they adjusted borders (parish and county) to ensure that all parishes were completely in a single country. IIRC this happend in 1895 (could be a year or so either way).

So it was quite possible to be born in Whitchurch on Thames, Berkshire.  While the baby should, in theory, have been christened in Whitchurch church the parents may have chosen to go to their closest church (Pangbourne) or they may have been nonconformists.  If they were Baptists they would not have their child baptised at all.

If your source actually says Whitchurch and not Whitchurch on Thames then the most likely alternative is Whitchurch, Bucks (Bucks and Berks are very often confused by transcribers).
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, newburychap and Craclyn for your replies.   I do appreciated your interest.
Regards - margaretmarion     :D :D :D