Author Topic: East Marton, Broughton & Thornton look-up - KING family 1600s  (Read 1317 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Marton, Broughton & Thornton look-up - KING family 1600s
« on: Sunday 07 December 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I am looking into the King family of the East Marton area in the late 1600s and 1700s.

They were Quakers and I have found them in the registers of the Monthly Meeting of Settle.

My ancestor was Abigail King who married John Binns in 1703. She was apparently the daughter of William King of Mirehouse/Mire House near Marton, born on 29 May 1682.

However before the King family joined the Religious Society of Friends, I would assume the family baptisms, marriages and burials would be found in the Church of England registers.

I therefore wonder if anyone please has access to the registers for the All Saints, Broughton, St Peter, Marton-in-Craven and St Mary, Thornton-in-Craven?

The Kings I am researching have the names of Henry, John, Lawrence, Thomas and William.

William is of particular interest, as he is the apparent father of six sons and four daughters who must have been born around 1660 to 1680 and grandfather of Abigail King/Binns.

If anyone is able to help I would be most grateful. Marton seems to be the main area of interest.

For future google search reference for other researchers, places associated with this family are:

East Marton
Gisborn/Gisburn
Glusburn (same as above?)
Langber/Longber
Laycocke, parish of Keighley
Marton
Marton Top
Mire House near Marton
Moor Top
Nuttercoat
Oakclif/Oakcliff/Oucliffe, parish of Carleton
Paster House
Sutton
Thornton
West Marton

Mire House and Oakcliff are the two places of the most interest.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: East Marton, Broughton & Thornton look-up - KING family 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 15 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I posted an error in my original message. It should have read:

HENRY is of particular interest, as he is the apparent father of six sons and four daughters who must have been born around 1645 to 1680 and grandfather of Abigail King/Binns, DAUGHTER OF WILLIAM.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: East Marton, Broughton & Thornton look-up - KING family 1600s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I now believe that Henry had three of his eldest children baptised at Skipton:

John Kinge
04 Nov 1647

Henery King
30 Apr 1649

William King
02 Jun 1650

I assume the younger children in Lawrence, Thomas, sixth son and four daughters must have been baptised in one of these other parishes probably before the family became Quakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon