Author Topic: Electoral roll/census info NSW please - DAVIS  (Read 10610 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral roll/census info NSW please - DAVIS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
"We know his son Charles John Steven Davis married in Western Australia in 1908 to Elizabeth Hough."

A tree on Ancestry shows a "Charles John Steven Davis" was married to a "Mary McAuliffe".

On the 1910 Kargoorlie census, there is a Charles, Charles John Stephen, Albert John Stephen and Mary Maud, all Davis, but no Elizabeth.

Regards

Malky

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
There are no surviving census for Australia in 1910. 

You are viewing the online electoral rolls on Ancestry.

You have named people living at Norseman, Western Australia in the division of Kalgoorlie, sub division Dundas.  There are no street addresses given and electoral rolls do not give relationships, only occupations.  No way of knowing if these people are related to each other.

Being listed on an electoral roll is no guarantee the people were living at that address on election day.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Cando!  Long time no see  :-)

Yes the marriage of Charles John Stephen DAVIS to Elizabeth Hough was tragically cut  very short, she died  in 1909, one year after their marriage.  He later married Mary Ellen McAuliffe in 1911.

Alas I can still find no record for his birth anywhere in Australia.
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:45 BST (UK) »
PS Albert John Davis married Isabella Whalqvist ,eldest daughter of my great uncle Frans Lorens Wahlqvist (1852 Trensum, Sweden-1925 Pyrmont Sydney) (known as Frank Whalqvist) . My grandfather , Axel Hugo Wahlqvist , was his younger brother.

Hi
If this happens to be the right family I have found the Wahlqvist family here in Sweden. If you haven't already got any info I can help out if you want.

Ian

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:46 BST (UK) »

West Australian   4 Oct 1937

DAVIS.---On October 3, 1937,. at her residence, I Gold-street, South Fremantle, Maud Martha. widow of the late Charles John Davis, fond mother of Albert and the late Charles Davis, grandmother of ****** Daly (Douro-road, South Fremantle), mother-in-law of Mrs. A. E Davis (South Fremantle) and Mrs M. Davis (Kellerberrin, Western Australia); aged 73

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
PS Albert John Davis married Isabella Whalqvist ,eldest daughter of my great uncle Frans Lorens Wahlqvist (1852 Trensum, Sweden-1925 Pyrmont Sydney) (known as Frank Whalqvist) . My grandfather , Axel Hugo Wahlqvist , was his younger brother.

Hi
If this happens to be the right family I have found the Wahlqvist family here in Sweden. If you haven't already got any info I can help out if you want.

Ian

I am quite certain there is no connection here.... 
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 April 14 13:54 BST (UK) »

West Australian   4 Oct 1937

DAVIS.---On October 3, 1937,. at her residence, I Gold-street, South Fremantle, Maud Martha. widow of the late Charles John Davis, fond mother of Albert and the late Charles Davis, grandmother of ****** Daly (Douro-road, South Fremantle), mother-in-law of Mrs. A. E Davis (South Fremantle) and Mrs M. Davis (Kellerberrin, Western Australia); aged 73

Thank you Wivenhoe, I too found this newspaper entry.  The "...... Daly" grandchild was the daughter of  Charles John Stevens Davis & Elizabeth Hough's who was raised by her Grandparents after Elizabeth died.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 April 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you purchased a transcription of Albert's birth certificate in NSW.  Previous births to the couple should be listed on his birth certificate along with the parents' ages, places of birth and place of marriage etc.

The price has increased since the first suggestion was made by Jenn earlier on the thread ;).
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html#transcription

Info on all Australian certs
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

I should have mentioned earlier that information on death certificates may be unreliable unless the informant has good knowledge and even then errors do occur.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 April 14 14:06 BST (UK) »

West Australian 17 Mar 1921

DAVIS.-On March 8 at Grosvenor Hospital South. Fremantle,'-Charles, beloved, husband of. . Martha Davis , late of Norseman father of Charles and Albert and grandfather of Evelyn.. aged 68-years.:

Do you have death certificate for Maud Martha DAVIS d. 1937,  and for Charles John DAVIS d. 1921?. Do they have marriage details, parents' names, birthplace and residency history?.

Birth certificates for children of Charles John Steven DAVIS would have space for birthplace of father, Charles. This might be more accurate than his birthplace recorded on his death certificate.