Author Topic: One for the "DIE HARD'S" Marie HICKEY,GALLAGHER,PERRY??? Sydney NSW.  (Read 7029 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: One for the "DIE HARD'S" Marie HICKEY,GALLAGHER,PERRY??? Sydney NSW.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil, :)
  I am happy to photograph any probates for your family ...  Yes I can see the 2 that JM has posted and will add those to my list.

I did have a vague feeling that there were more probates related to Coraline in a longer thread of yours that I lost track of ...?  Anyway just tell me which probates you would like me to photograph ...?

I will do a special Neil visit  :) :D

cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
Well for all the "DIE HARD'S" Ros has very graciously gone and spent her valuable time again at KINGSWOOD for one of us and come up "TRUMPS" ;D ;D ;D many, many, many THANKS ;D

"Queenie" CORALINE/CAROLINE HICKEY NEE Whatever, was born to Walter TRAILL and Ellen Louise MESSENGER (my grandmother) in 1899.  ;D

This from a post looking for Walter in England.
Mr Walter Traill
Age   33
Departure 24 February 1893, Departed London, England, Destination Sydney, Australia. Ship - Ormuz
also with him
Mrs Traill 31, Male child 4, Female Child 3, Male Infant 1

Don't know if it is the same Walter, but there cannot be too many of them in Sydney late 1890's.

Now to Marie Landon (Nee) HICKEY. On her DC it shows no parents so that bit hasn't been solved, but it does say she was born in TAREE NSW and the year was 1918.

So a few more steps closer to finding out and solving the mystery, with a lot of help from my RC friends.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
Well done Ros, there should be an award, and if I were asked to vote for who gets it,  well, Ros gets my vote.

The gift of one's time is the most precious gift of all.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
Right,  Taree, 1918 …. Ummm….all the usual cautions re dc info can be unreliable

Well I suspect that the BDM registrar for that district in 1919 may have been a Mrs MITCHELL, and likely she was the wife of a John MITCHELL, who operated the local fleet of Motor Cars for Hire.   Sands Country Directories 1919 has their advert “Motor Cars for hire, day or night, all trains met, cars garaged, all accessories kept, tel. no. 46,  Mrs J Mitchell, Registry Office”.     I have checked the pages for Taree, and I cannot see any entry under HICKEY in that 1919 publication (closing date for entries was likely end of Oct 1918).  I did spot the following:
Nurse CUMMINS,  Private Hospital  (no street address, but perhaps it included a laying in ward for women),
W B BOYCE “Manning River Times” one of the newspapers at that time
William G HOOPER, photographer (wondering where his collection would be housed now)
Nurse McPHEE, Matron, Hospital
Manning River District Hospital, George B MORRIS, Sec.
A MUSCIO, Physician
D COWAN, Proprietor “Northern Champion” another newspaper at that time
Nurse PALMER,  Private Hospital
Skidmore and Masters, Plumbers  (MASTERS ! perhaps worth Neil following that up)

ADD, 1915 Sands Country also has Skidmore and Masters, plumbers, Taree

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
May have got you off on wrong foot JM her Coraline's nee name was not Hickey she married John/Jack Hickey and then adopted? Marie..who was born Taree to whomever ::)

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:52 BST (UK) »
Yes,  I understood that, but I was looking for a possible informal adoption within the extended family, so I looked at all the surnames in the township, and their occupations, and noted that Hickey was not there, suggesting that Jack's family were perhaps not in the town.    So often these informal adoptions (formal adoptions commence in NSW from about 1923) were organised within the family, sometimes if not that way, then within the private hospitals, and with very little paper trails  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
Wonder if the PERRY's or GALLAGHER'S were in town or out and about in the countryside. Gees grasping at straws, I just rang a bloke in Taree by the name of Masters he has given me his 86Yo Uncle's ph number who does the family history... Wonder where that will lead ::)

Neil ::) ???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:30 BST (UK) »
 :)

1915  and 1917 Sands Country directories
E GALLAGHER, blacksmith, Nabiac …… closest I can find to Taree
NONE for PERRY that I can see in the surrounding locations.

1920 Sands Alpha NSW
Edward GALLAGHER, blacksmith NABIAC

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 02:11 BST (UK) »
Moving a further step from the blacksmith Edward Gallagher in Nabiac
An Edward Gallagher was married a Matilda and had three children in Taree along with three in Stroud one in Walcha and Glen Innes and one in Sydney.

A Matilda Gallagher died in Marrickville Sydney in 1919 (along with many others) I know. Just wondering if these could be the parents of Marie ???

This is a wild guess, but who am I to stop guessing on Family History ::)

Neil