Author Topic: James A Meddings  (Read 7237 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Alexander Meddings
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 October 14 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Birth:

James Alexander MEDDINGS b. 1883 WHAR #8815
Father: George
Mother: Margaret NICHOLSON

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Perhaps I am missing something here,  But I can see the 1916 marriage was the third quarter of 1916, but I can also see from his AIF papers that he only arrived in England 14 June 1916, and that was because he required hospitalisation for  a Gun Shot Wound –arm.   At that time he was meant to be under Field Punishment No. 2 for 56 days from about 5 May 1916.  So, he was not meant to receive leave to “go gallivanting” until say early July, 1916 (add, 3rd Quarter commences July, and includes August and September)

He was marched out FROM  No 2 CD Weymouth 28 Oct 1916 TO No. 3 CD (Com Depot) at Wool (likely as in Woolwich,) 

I think this is the  marriage registration :
James A MEDDINGS
Stewart  E MORGAN
 and it was registered in the 3rd Quarter of 1916  AT Gateshead, Durham  10A/1325.   

In the AIF papers his wife is noted as Mrs J A Meddings (not as Stewart or variations) and an address at Gateshead  with the date noted as 31 Oct 1918 (4th Quarter 1916) .   Also  again from those papers, James changed his Next of Kin paperwork 28 November 1916.   

So have you carefully checked the GRO marriage certificate signature with the AIF papers that include James’ signature just to double check re the apparent bigamous matters.

Also, have you checked to see if the marriage was negatived in any way ..... any notes on that GRO record?   In NSW, Australia, when a marriage was terminated by any NSW Supreme Court action, a note of that action was made on the registration, perhaps more towards the left hand margin.  I am not sure of the GRO practices.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Related thread on the Durham Board
topics merged

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James A Meddings
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Also posted on the Australia board
topics merged

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Stuart married again in 1917 ......  The man she married the second time became a serial bigamist and she herself married a third time at the end of 1917 in New Zealand so she wasn't averse to a little bigamy herself.

So are you saying she married in the 3rd Quarter of 1916, and then in 1917 she married someone else, and then she went to New Zealand and at the end of 1917 she married a third time? 

May I ask how she travelled to New Zealand at a time of war?   Passports were required by British Subjects to allow them to leave the UK basically from the commencement of WWI.  What name did she travel under to New Zealand?    Husband No 1 or Husband No 2 or another name ?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »

I think this is the  marriage registration :
James A MEDDINGS
Stewart  E MORGAN
 and it was registered in the 3rd Quarter of 1916  AT Gateshead, Durham  10A/1325.   

In the AIF papers his wife is noted as Mrs J A Meddings (not as Stewart or variations) and an address at Gateshead  with the date noted as 31 Oct 1918 (4th Quarter 1916) .   Also  again from those papers, James changed his Next of Kin paperwork 28 November 1916.   

It was the common practice in the UK, until fairly recent times, to address a wife as "Mrs" followed by her husbands initials/name?! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:49 GMT (UK) »

"....Stuart married again in 1917........... The man she married the second time became a serial bigamist .....

....she herself married a third time at the end of 1917 in New Zealand

Can you identify these two marriages please...when, where and who.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I understand that, same in Australia, and I am old enough to have received snail mail in that form, but the AIF papers by referring to James wife as Mrs J A MEDDINGS do not help join the dots for the bride that our OP is naming. 
It was the common practice in the UK, until fairly recent times, to address a wife as "Mrs" followed by her husbands initials/name?! ::)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 October 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »

"....Stuart married again in 1917........... The man she married the second time became a serial bigamist .....

....she herself married a third time at the end of 1917 in New Zealand

Can you identify these two marriages please...when, where and who.

THis question is also being asked on the Australia Board.

I think these two threads should be merged - or one of them locked.