Author Topic: johnston and farquharson in scotland  (Read 5299 times)

Offline primrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
johnston and farquharson in scotland
« on: Wednesday 19 May 04 13:48 BST (UK) »
Looking for a William Tatham (sp) Farquharson, we know he went to Belize and married (name was probably Blanche Elrington). When he died his children went to Scotland to stay with an aunt called Johnston, probably a Farquharson who married a Johnston who was in some sort of trade in Scotland.  One of the children was Blanche Ella Farquharson who married my gg grandfather Otto Hofius. Any help would be appreciated, so far William and Aunt Johnston are proving to be a blank wall.  We are pretty sure the name was spelled Johnston as my grandfather was called Ernest Johnston Hofius. Thanks, Primrose

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re:johnston and farquharson in scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 00:47 BST (UK) »
What years are we looking at, I can look on Scotlands people but would be easier if I had an range of years to check.

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline primrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying to my post. The closest we can come is to try to figure around the birth dates we have. Blanche Ella was born in 1858 and we think she was sent to Scotland to live with her aunt when she was about 5. We know that the Johnston was her Uncle by marriage and that the aunt was the blood relative. We believe that her maiden name would therefore be either Farquharson or Hofius. We have been looking in the date range of 1800 to 1850 for the marriage. If you find anything to help we would be grateful.  Thank you,
Primrose

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 19:59 BST (UK) »
will check later when I get back online... have to be the dutyful housewife first... lol...

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 June 04 02:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in getting back to your search but I checked Scotlandspeople all marriages of any FARQUHARSON from 1800 to 1854 and I am afraid no luck in finding the marriage of Blanche... but I did find the following marriages of a Farquharson to a Johnston:-

Date   Surname    Forename      Spouse Name/Frame No Sex Parish GROS Data

1 Jul 1846 FARQUHARSON HELEN    GEORGE JOHNSTON/ F FYVIE 197/00 0003

31 Dec 1849 FARQUHARSON ISABELLA      CHARLES JOHNSTON/FR6894    U     EDINBURGH    685/01 0069  

1 Jan 1825 FARQUHARSON JANE           SAMUEL JOHNSTON/ F OLD MACHAR ABERDEEN 168/0B 016*

4 Jul 1807 FARQUHARSON JEAN            ROBERT JOHNSTON/ F OLD MACHAR ABERDEEN 168/0B 0008  

[1 Sep 1842   FARQUHARSON  MARGARET MILLER       JAMES JOHNSTON/ F ELGIN 135/00 0009

Sorry I could not help you more

Best wishes

Mo

Offline primrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 04 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I think you might have helped a great deal. I think it may be Mary Miller, I have to see if I can make a connection with Jamaica or if James was a merchant.  I really can't thank you enough for your trouble. We have traced our line of Farquharsons to Charles in the 1700's, apparently he went to Jamaica in the late 1700s and our family stayed there.  William was married there so it is not surprising you couldn't find Blanche.  I just stumbled on this info by accident.  I guess thats why I like genealogy.  Full of surprises. Thanks again,      Primrose

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: johnston and farquharson in scotland
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
I think this census transcription might perhaps help?

1861 Census: Newmill, Elgin, Moray
James Johnston    Head Mar 45  Woollen manufacturer employing 70 hands     Elgin                                       
Margaret M Johnston      Wife Mar 39                                   Jamaica   
Mary M Johnston          Daughter Unm 17                                   Elgin
Alexa A G Johnston       Daughter Unm 14                                   Elgin
Eliza C Johnston         Daughter Unm 12                                   Elgin
Fanny C Johnston         Daughter Unm  9                                   Elgin
Edward F Johnston        Son Unm  6                                   Elgin
Edith J Johnston         Daughter Unm  4                                   Elgin
Marion M Johnston        Daughter Unm  3                                   Elgin
Margaret A G Johnston    Daughter Unm  1                                   Elgin
Eliza F Farquharson      Vis W 66                                   Jamaica
Eliza F Farquharson      Vis Unm 26                                   Jamaica
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 July 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
Well done, it would be great if primrose sees your reply to her query after such a long time :)
I wondered if James Johnston was connected to the company Johnston's of Elgin & note that on wikipedia there is a photo of the Johnston family (1890) of Newmill House. Coincidence?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 July 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
Well done, it would be great if primrose sees your reply to her query after such a long time :)
I wondered if James Johnston was connected to the company Johnston's of Elgin & note that on wikipedia there is a photo of the Johnston family (1890) of Newmill House. Coincidence?
flst

Yes, that's the family. James was the son of the founder, Alexander Johnston, and he owned and managed the business for many decades.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.