Author Topic: George Manning Rees  (Read 33386 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: George Manning Rees
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
I had their last child Anne Lee Rees b. Dec Q 1862; baptised 15 March, 1862 Fishguard - therefore, I could I have some more details of the Ann Lee Rees baptised in 1863. as the first Ann Lee Rees could have died and they tried again.
Keith
Birth had to be registered(in theory) within 6 weeks of the event by law. Baptism was by choice at any time and age in any faith after the birth. I have never heard of baptism taking place upto 9 months prior to the registration of a birth, therefore may I suggest that the date you have of 15 March 1862 should in fact read 15 March 1863 ~ everything then falls into place. Furthermore all records appear to show there is no further birth/baptism of an Annie Lee Rees pre 1862/3.
what the records say for Mary Rees (nee Lee) who died 1795, St. Martins and who I think is her sister Ann Rees (nee Lee) buried 14 October 1804 St. Martins
You appear to suggest that Mary Lee and Ann Lee each mrd a Mr (?) Rees after all nee' denotes maiden name before mrge. Whilst I have come across a reference to the mrge of a Michael Lee at Huberston in 1787 to Martha Phillips I have not seen any reference to the mrge's of Ann & Mary Lee to anyone with surname Rees. Am I confused?
The burial entries you seek will only show e.g. Mary Rees buried (date given), for circa 1795 no other info will appear. That said if you are very very lucky and they where of very old age it might give age and if very well to do "wife of ......." but its rare.
Please understand St Thomas, St Martin & St Mary are each within a couple of streets of each other if a family lived in parish of St Thomas then they baptised children there, if they moved and lived in St Mary they baptised children there.
Likewise please be aware the published parish of abode at mrge of bride or groom post 1837 only denotes that either or both have resided in that parish for the minimum of 6 weeks and has absolutely no bearing on the parish of birth/baptism. In many cases the parish of baptism and mrge might well be the same, in just as many cases they are not.
I wonder if you are confusing the requirements by law post Sept 1837 of Birth, Mrge and Death registration, with peoples choice as to whether or how a baptism or burial is carried out?
I will investigate the burial of the two mrd ladies you indicate, Mrs Mary Rees and Mrs Ann Rees on a future visit.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Orielbenfro for your explanations of requirements of births and baptisms.

David Rees married Mary Lee 5 May 1791 St. Paul Covent Gardens, Westminster (both of that Parish).
Children:
John Rees b. 13 Feb 1793 Haverfordwest bp. .................
(and wife Martha Tomkins of London - solicitor of Pembroke area)

William Lee Rees b. 17 Aug 1793 Haverfordwest bp. 3 Jun 1795 St. Martins
(later Lt. W.L. Rees and Elizabeth Pocock , teacher of Bristol)

Mary Rees died 1795 St. Martins Haverfordwest

Darft Will 8 Sep 1797 David Rees of Haverfodwest, innkeeper, leaving estate for sons John and William in trust until they turn 21; money to his sister-in-law Ann Lee spinster, mother Joan Rees and mother-in-law Mary Lee, and rest to brothers and sisters, thus inferring that Ann Lee and her mother is now looking after the young boys.

Early 1800s David Rees is innkeeper of Castle Inn Haverfordwest and a farmer, also linked to West Barners Inn.

His next children are:
Sarah Ann Rees b. 1798/99 Gloster, Gloucestershire (Later Census details of Sarah Thomas or Mrs. Rev. James Hughes Thomas, her husband)

James Lee Rees b. 17 Sep 1800 Haverfordwest bp. 29 Jan 1807 St. Marys
(Dr. James Lee Rees and Mary Pocock of Bristol)

Mary Rees b. 2 Sep 1801 Haverfordwest bp. 29 Jan 1807 St. Marys
(Mrs. George Pocock Junior, school teachers of Bristol)

George Manning Rees b. 2 Dec 1802 Haverfordwest bp. 29 Jan 1807 St. Marys
(watchmaker of Fishguard)

Ann Rees buried 14 Oct 1804 St. Martins.

David Rees lease owns properties of Dredgmans Hill, Woodbine Cottage, Derby Farm, Greenhills - all neighbouring properties
Brother John Rees (later of Westbury Hill farm - you helped me before) also leased Westfields, which my map shows also borders Woodbine Cottage.

Thus, I have no proof that Ann Lee, his sister-in-law becomes the mother of his children No.s 3 to 6, only assumption, as many of their descendants have the Lee as a middle name.

Regards,

Keith Rees
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 June 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Ann Rees buried 14 Oct 1804 St. Martins.
Keith
Sorry to disapoint there is no Ann Rees buried at St Martins 1804. I searched today.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 June 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Is the Ann Lee Rees buried at Johnston in 1834 part of your research?
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 June 10 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking Oriel

My date for a burial for Ann Rees and Mary Lee (I was hoping her mother) was based on this very hard to read extract.

I was kind of hoping that it was actually confirmed to be St. Martin's and /or that it would give me more evidence.

I appreciate you effort and willingness to help.

I have just been notified from a "new relation" from near Port Talbot, that her elderly aunty has lived in Fishguard for the last 30 years, and her Aunty Joyce didn't know that her grandfather George Manning Rees was a jeweller in Fishguard, as well. They had no idea that "we" had gone to the Colonies. So, I have now found some very excited people, and we hope, also become interested in genealogy.
One step backwards, and two steps forward.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Keith Rees Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 June 10 07:57 BST (UK) »
What about the 1834 Ann Lee Rees burial at Johnston ?

Would I be on the right track believeing that William Rees married Mary Evans of H'west St Martin at H'west St Mary on the 29th Oct 1822? Are these the parents you expect of George Manning Rees baptised at H'west St Martin 1828.

I'm going back to the Rec Off this morning to recheck my sources.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 June 10 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Orielbenfro

First of all - I have no Ann Lee Rees buried at Johnston 1834, but I am more than keen to find out who she was, dear soul.

With such a name, she will be of high interest to me.

George Manning Rees baptised at St. Martins H/W is the son of Lt. William Lee Rees and Mary Pocock. Between service in the navy, it seems that he did return to Haverforwest area to live.

Sep 16. 1817  Entry #3950  page 184 of the unknown book:

1. Jane Roch of Bullford (Bulford), Parish of Stainton (Steynton), widow, and William Roch of the same, farmer, her eldest son by John Roch her late husband, deceased;
2. David Rees of Woodbine Cottage, Parish of St. Issels, Haroldstone, esq;
3. William Rees of the same, a lieutenant in H.M.Navy.
Conveyance of a messuage and lands, being part of Bulford aforesaid.

William Lee and Mary's first child William Gilbert was born at Derby Farm, on the 6th. April, 1827 and baptised in the nearby St. Issells Church , Haroldstone, Pembroke, Wales on 7 May 1827.

The Pigots Directory of 1830, has Lieut. William Lee Rees living at Church Lane, Bristol. Gloucestershire. His father-in-law's boarding school Prospect Academy is also in Church Lane.

There is an article in Haverforwest written about his eldest son William Gilbert Rees - the explorer in Queenstown NZ.

His two other known girls were Mary St. George Rees (Mrs. John Clark of Folkestone - teachers) and Isabel Rose Day (Mrs. John Bellenie Day - lithographers to the Queen - London)

Thus, the above Ann Lee Rees could belong to either my John Rees, the eldest child of David Rees or even Lt. Wm Lee Rees or David Rees' wife. David himself died in 1837.

Great news.

Thank you very much for yet another clue.

PS My daughter - 180 years later is Ana Lee Rees

Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 June 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
If Ann Lee Rees buried Johnson 1834 was a baby, then it is possible that she was George Manning Rees and Sarah Williams' second child.

This is the same Geo Manning Rees later of Fishguard, who marries Martha Llewellin of Dale.

1832  At the baptism of son James Lee Rees, George and Sarah are living and farming at Dredgman Hill, St. Thomas, and south of Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire. It is known that George Manning's father David Rees owned Woodbine Cottage (1818), Derby Farm (1825) and Green Hill Farm (1835), all large farms immediately to the east of Dredgman Hill and his Uncle John Rees leased Westfields Farm adjoining Woodbine Cottage.

They may have a second child, who died before they split.
In David Rees' Will of 1837 all the spouses are named except for George Manning Rees' wife. Then in 1838 on the setttlement of David's Will George Manning leaves 180 pounds for his son James Lee Rees, to be administered by Richard Rees (grocer Haverfordwest) and Sarah is to keep James Lee Rees of the annual dividends until he is 21 when he signed for the 180 pounds.

Regards,

Keith

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 June 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
Went back to the Rec Off today to double check my findings

H’west St Thomas Burial
***Mrs Mary Rees aged 28 buried 13th June 1795.
***Ann Rees aged 35 buried 1st Oct 1805 (PLEASE NOTE THE YEAR)
***Ann Lee Rees of Johnston aged 5 months buried 03 August 1834

*** I have jpeg’d these items send me an email address by PM if you require copies

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015