Author Topic: John PHILLIPS married Mary Ann REES...Census etc  (Read 17381 times)

Offline Paul London

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John PHILLIPS married Mary Ann REES...Census etc
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Prue,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Although having been involved with genealogy for the past 24 years, I’m still a little hesitant when it comes to using this type of open forum to communicate via.   However, to clarify a point or two with you, from my research which I hasten to say was complied many years ago I have: - James PHILLIPS: died on 17th February 1920 (presumably on his farm at Matarawa, just outside Wanganui, NZ).   His wife Charlotte (nee SOOBY) born c. 1856 London, died in 1881 in Wanganui, NZ.   This pair were married 3rd May 1878 in Marton, New Zealand.

While speaking with a family member this morning I’m told that this couple had at least five children.   A set of (female) twins, two sons, and their youngest daughter (my wife’s grandmother) Charlotte Gertrude “Gert” Phillips born: 8th January 1880 at Whangaehu, (just outside of Wanganui), died: 29th June 1978 at Lower Hutt, New Zealand.

If you’re comfortable with the idea and wish to explore this branch of the family a little further, please feel free to E-mail at my home address: paullondon@actrix.co.nz    My 97-year-old mother-in-law lives just across the road from me, and while her eyesight might be failing, the rest of her works extremely well.   I’m sure any questions you may have, can be answered between herself and her remaining (92-year-old) brother-in-law.

Look forward to hearing from you - Paul

Offline Prue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul.
 I have replied to your direct email.
Prue    (Joan)

Johns, Newport
 Johns,Baglan
  Davies,Briton Ferry,
Phillips,Castlemartin

Offline Prue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

My direct email was returned  to me as your address was not recognised.

Prue
Johns, Newport
 Johns,Baglan
  Davies,Briton Ferry,
Phillips,Castlemartin

Offline Paul London

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
Prue.
This is quite bizarre.   I clicked on the E-mail address I typed in the “blog”, and guess what? ...it rejected my own address!!   Perhaps if you manually load it, rather than “copy/pasting” my address into an E-mail it might work?   Without wishing to ask you to broadcast your E-mail address to all and sundry, and should your next attempt be rejected, may I suggest (if you have a cellphone) text me your address to my NZ mobile number: +64-27-279-9436.

Thanks for your patience and perseverance, but this is so "wacky" I'm wondering if I'm having a "senior-moment".

Paul

Offline Prue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,

Sorry to say the email did not work. I have more or less stopped doing any family history except my direct line as the tree branches got too wide. I do not use a cell phone so communication is limited to the Rootschat.
My direct line is from John Phillips married to Alice Duggan and their son Thomas, ( brother to John
b 1818-1883). If you would like any info about the Phillips please post a question here as I do not wish to post my email address.
Thanks for getting in touch.
Kind regards,
Prue
Johns, Newport
 Johns,Baglan
  Davies,Briton Ferry,
Phillips,Castlemartin

Offline Paul London

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Prue,
My first attempt to reply to you via this forum has met with disaster, in that I exceeded the 5,500 character limit.   Well with so much “technology” available to us let’s see if I’ve got myself on the right track and I’ll send my reply out in serial form.

Firstly, I “stumbled” into the Phillips family more by default rather than design while working on my wife’s Dunn family tree, which like so many “trees” is now growing at an exponential rate.   As mentioned earlier, her family descend from “Gert” Dunn (nee Phillips) [1880-1978], the daughter of James Phillips [1840-1920] and his wife Charlotte (nee Sooby) [c.1856-1881].   James as we all know was the eldest son of John Phillips [1818-1883] and his wife Mary Ann (nee Rees) [1818-1894].

In re-reading your last posting, it appears you may have gone back one more generation and have identified another “John Phillips” and his wife Alice Duggan.   Can I safely assume this couple you’re speaking about are the parents of my wife’s John Phillips [1818-1883].   And without wishing to state the obvious, but if I’m reading your posting correctly “our” John Phillips also has a brother Thomas?

I guess my ignorance is the price I pay for coming in the middle of your conversations with the other NZ’er Dale.

However, in reading through some of Dale’s earlier  material shared with you – here’s a “kaleidoscope” of social history items taken from various NZ newspapers of the day which pertain to voyage made by John Phillips [1818-1883] and his wife Mary Ann [1818-1894] and their children.   [Noting: there appears to be a couple of additions which don’t feature on any of the census].

While the notes below are in no particular chronological order some of the contents might be of interest to both yourself and any other readers of this forum.   To start with:

John and Mary Anne Phillips emigrated to New Zealand on the 667 ton vessel the “Gertrude”, under the command of Captain Dewar.   The vessel sailed from London on 19th February 1868 and arrived Wellington at 4.30pm on the 3rd of June 1868.   Some 8 weeks later at midnight on July 22nd 1868 the Gertrude sailed from Wellington for Newcastle.

From the vessel’s passenger list we see the following members of the Phillips family:
John Snr   
Mrs Mary Ann
James
William
Lydia
Elizabeth
Alice
Eliza J
Jane
Annie

Here endith Part 1
(Paul)

Offline Paul London

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Prue,
It seems to be working - here's part II

The next day, 4th June 1868, the Phillips family (and other passengers from the Gertrude) boarded the coastal steamer, the Storm Bird sailing for the river port of Wanganui.   This 66 ton vessel under the command of Captain Doile arrived in Wanganui on June 5th 1868.   Her passengers are listed as: Miss Brown, Mrs Howe, Messrs. Marshall, Jackson, Taylor, Chadwick, Mr and Mrs McLaren and family, Miss Doyle, Miss Duffy, Mr Phillips and family, 1 native, Messrs. Allan, Stanmore, Lacy; (nearly all of whom arrived from England by the Gertrude.)

~~~~~~~~-------------------------------------------

From the same paper (the Wanganui Herald, dated 5th June 1868, page 2) we read of the Gertrude’s voyage out to New Zealand, where it is reported:
The ship Gertrude, 666 tons, Capt. Dewar, arrived in Wellington at 5 o’clock on Wednesday afternoon from London.  The pilot left her on the 26th February off the Isle of Wight.   Experienced light favourable winds to the Equator, which was crossed on the 27th March, thirty days out, longitude 23 deg. 26 min. W.  From the line experienced light S.E. trades and fine fair weather to the Kerguelens, not having reefed the topsails once.  Rap down the longitude in 50 deg. and 51 deg.   Doubled the Cape on the 26th April in latitude 45 deg. 11 min. S. Fell in with a furious gale in latitude 49 deg. 51 min. S., and 85 deg. 51 min. E.; ship hove-to for 24 hours shipped some heavy seas, lifting the quarter boats and davits out of the sockets, also stoving one of the lifeboats which was on the skids stove in the skylight on the poop, flooding the cabin and storeroom.   Made the Snares on Friday, 29th ult, since which time she experienced boisterous and fine weather, and arrived as above.   A midshipman of the name of E. Archibald, deranged, jumped overboard on the occasion of the ship crossing the Line he was immediately rescued by the chief officer and four hands in the ship’s gig; he died on the 12th May from water on the brain, ascertained by a post mortem made by the surgeon; on the same day saw a large iceberg about six miles distant.

The Gertrude brings 100 passengers, chiefly for Napier, equal to 86 statute adults, and 9 cabin passengers. The passengers consist of 24 single women, 26 single men, and 50 souls married with children, all of whom have arrived well and in good health no births or deaths occurred during the passage.   There is about 1000 tons of general cargo, consigned to Messrs Levin & Co.   After the vessel came to an anchor all the passengers went aft and presented Captain Dewar and Dr Bambridge with a flattering testimonial, for their kindness and careful treatment on the passage.   The following passengers arrived in the Gertrude.—Cabin —Mr and Mrs Matheson, Mr and Mrs Clare and 2 children, Mr D. Blythe, Miss Moore, Miss Smith, Miss Guise. Steerage—J. Pembroke and wife, W. McLaren, wife and 7 children, J. Phillips, wife and 1 child, W. Haynes, A. Jeffrey, wife and child, J. Holyman, wife and 3 children, W. Cullen, wife and 2 children, J. Palmer, wife and 5 children, J. Steel and wife, Mrs E. Rawlings and 2 children, E. Poulton, B. Doyle, S. and M. Farmer, S. Duffy, S. Horrocks, Mrs S. Boden and 2 children, M. A. Halpin, A. Reardon, M. Hayes, JT. Scrimgour, D. and C. Hastie, L. Cole, Mr and Miss Knight, Misses Phillips (3), F. Cash, H. Williams, J. Lockett, A. Morris, M. Malone, D. Burke, J. McLellan, A. Orr, S. Desford, A. Mitchell, W. McLellan, T. and W. Horrocks, J. Halpin, M. Aheran, G.Neale, S. Cook, A. Caldwell, A. and D. McLean, G Young, and G. Rose.

Here Endith Part II
(Paul)

Offline Paul London

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Prue,

Final Part III follows:

~~~~~~~~-------------------------------

As an interesting aside, the Gertrude was also carrying some 400 birds on behalf of the Nelson Acclimatization Society.   A later newspaper article (from the Nelson Examiner & NZ Chronicle, dated 13th June, page 2), goes on to say this about the birds:

News of the Day:
The ship Gertrude, which arrived in Wellington last week, brought out for the Nelson Acclimatization Society a large number of birds, but only about one-third of the number shipped have been landed here, and these were brought on from Wellington in the steamer Phoebe.   The following is a list of the birds shipped 72 blackbirds and thrushes, 40 starlings, 120 larks, 50 linnets, 50 chaffinches, 50 greenfinches, and 16 pheasants total, 378 birds.   The greatest mortality was experienced by the larks and starlings, of the former there being only a solitary survivor, and of the starlings there remain but six.   The shipment is altogether unsatisfactory, and was not by any means in accordance with the order sent home by the Secretary.  Of larks, linnets, and finches of the kinds sent, we have already great numbers, as well as pheasants, which are now rapidly spreading throughout the province.   The birds are placed for the present in a spacious aviary, and when they have recovered from the effects of the voyage, it will be for the society to consider in what manner they shall be disposed of.

From the 1841 Census it looks like they are living with his wife, Mary’s parents:-

John Phillips 20
Mary 25
James 9 months
David Rees 50
Elizabeth 55
Eliza 20
Lydia 15
Mary Bamkin 75
Martha Bamkin 75
Residing at Angle Village, Pembrokeshire.
Census Ref HO107/1443/ 1/5 / 5
Keyboard86

At the time of his marriage, John Phillips’ occupation was described as a Servant who was then living at Hubberton.

From the Wanganui Herald, dated (Sat) 14th April 1883, page 2: Death Notice:
PHILLIPS - On the 13th inst (April), at his residence, Warrengate Line, John Phillips, aged 66 years.   Friends are informed that the Funeral will move from the house at 12.30pm tomorrow (Sunday), arriving at the Matarawa Church at 2 o’clock - Jas, T. Anderson, undertaker, Taupo Quay.

From the Wanganui Chronicle, dated 10th September 1894 - Death Notices:
DEATH.

Phillips — On the 8th September, 1894, Mary Ann, relict of the late John Phillips, Warrengate Line, aged 77 years.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I’ve not had reason to review the Phillips family but on being told of a recent death of a dear relative, (one of the descendants of “Gert” Phillips’ sister’s family) I was asked to add that information.

My wife and I while in the UK a few years ago toured along the south coast of Wales trying to “absorbed” some of her early genealogical history.   Unfortunately, it was one of those last minute impromptu arrangements so we didn’t have our genealogical “kit” with us and being reliant on memory missed out on many places.   However in a couple of years time after attending the 75th memorial commemorations for the battle of Crete in May 2016, we’ll take the opportunity to return to the UK and in particular Wales in an attempt to retrace some of her family heritage.

So should you have any early historical information on her Phillips family, we’d dearly love to add it to the collection of facts that would invariably make such a visit more meaningful.

Thanks again – and kind regards

Paul