Author Topic: Mary Ann Evans b.1831 bap. 1833 St Mary's, Haverfordwest  (Read 6216 times)

Offline CoachCarole

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Evans b.1831 bap. 1833 St Mary's, Haverfordwest
« on: Thursday 19 September 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am on the trail of details about my ggrandmother who was born in Monkton, resided in St Mary's, married in Croydon, England and died in1909. I am particularly interested in details of life on Fountain Row, Haverfordwest between the years of 1841 to 1861.

It seems she may have been a House Servant to the Rees family at Warren at the age of 17. Wondering what her life was like as a young woman and if she lived apart from her immediate family in those years.

Her parents were David Evans and Lettice Day who also lived in Fountain Row.
Her maternal grandparents were George Day and Elizabeth Evans who lived in Shut Street.

I have no details about her paternal grandparents (David's father possibly named George Evans) and would like to pursue that line of enquiry too.

If you would like to send me any links you have, I would be grateful.

Carole

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Evans b.1831 bap. 1833 St Mary's, Haverfordwest
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat
1841 census it seems  they are living on Short St

Short St Haverfordwest St Mary
David Evans 32 lab
Lettice 31
Mary 10
George 7
John 3
Richard 1
all b in county
HO107 1450 2A 42 17

The house next door is on Fountain Row

Also could you post where you found Mary's name as Mary Ann

on 1841 census (and I think on 1851) her name is just Mary
Familysearch
Baptism gives her name as Mary too
Mary Evans baptised 24 may 1833
St Mary Haverfordwest
parents David & Lettice

I couldn't see her d.o.b. on baptism -do you have the parish record???

Where is her birth listed as Monkton?
Sorry for all the questions -I am just trying to establish that I am looking at the correct person

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
If your Mary married George Robinson in Croyden reg dist then she was just mary on marriage reg - and on 1861-1901 she was just Mary and gave her p.o.b. as Haverfordwest

1851 is she a house servant age 20 b. Haverfordwest in Bridge St Haverfordwest St Martins to Rhys Jones (Ironmonger & Machine maker) and family??

I wonder if I am looking at the correct person - you state Mary died 1909 - but Mary the wife of George Robinson is still living in 1911 - a widow

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline CoachCarole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 September 13 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Suz, thanks so much for your prompt reply.

Mary Ann(e) Evans is listed in my family records (may even have a third name Frances) and I have been searching with those names for a while now. Perhaps I need to just choose Mary Evans.

In searching for Mary Ann I came upon that name in the census for 1841 where Mary Ann Evans is listed as a House Servant and her pob Monkton. I do not know if those details are true for my g grandmother at all - still sifting and surmising.

Yes she is listed in the parish register of baptisms for St Mary, Haverfordwest in 1833, but I do not have evidence of her birth day or place.

I have the name Shutt Street (now called Dew Street) in some of my records as the place of residence for George Day and Elizabeth Evans (her grandparents) and later in residence in Fountain Row as a child of David Evans and Lettice Day (her parents).

I do have the death date as 1909 but no clear evidence that this is correct, so the 1911 date you have may well be correct. I will continue to vary my search at FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com using Mary Evans b. Haverfordwest 1831 baptised 1833 St Mary's m. to George Robinson in Croydon 1861 d.1911 and see what that brings up.

Perhaps she was a House Servant in Bridge street in 1851 - seems more likely - in the same area - and this has been mentioned before as a possibility by genealogists I am in communication with. I could continue my search for those details in census records.

I recently visited Haverfordwest (on holidays) and could read through all the census docs in order of Parish and Street names - but could only locate evidence of her parents and grandparents. I have a feeling that she may have moved away to another parish and that might account for her being missing in St Mary's.

Thanks so much for giving me the clues as to what I need to do next - exactly what I needed.

Regards
Carole

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 September 13 09:49 BST (UK) »
I hope you don't mind me making these comments - but I did wonder if you have the correct parents - was she the Mary who married George Robinson ?? If so her age varies on census - on marriage record her father is David -but there are possibilities of Mary having father David but mother another name.
You say Mary Ann(e) Evans -with maybe a 3rd name of Frances - is in your family records - which records did the name come from????

Evans is such a difficult name to research you really need as much definate information as possible.

I apologise for reading "Shut St" as Short St
This is the description of enumeration district 12 in 1841
"All that part of the Parish of St Marys within the town and county of Haverfordwest comprising Shut Street, Horn's Lane, Fountain Row and Dew St so far as the house opposite the old conduit"

1841 David, Lettice and family were on Shut St

Suz

Suz

Offline CoachCarole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 September 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

Yes I believe the parentage is correct having obtained names from Marriage certificate of Mary and George Robinson 1861, All Saints, Croydon.

I have been researching Mary Evans now for some time and keep coming up against a deadend when it comes to evidence of where she was from 1851 to 1861.

Today's research led me to a Mary Evans visiting the Black Horse Inn, Haverforwest (on the site of the old Dominican Friary) on census for 1861. Could be. That might explain why and how she met George Robinson, Railway man from East Croydon Station, England. That would make a good story, even if not backed up by facts!

Happy to have you ask the questions, it keeps me thinking!
No idea where the name Frances comes from - no evidence just family history.
Mary Evans - difficult to sleuth in a Welsh parish where names are so common - evidence of correct Mary Evans came from the Marriage Certificate.

I think that Mary never returned home to live with her parents (missing from Census in 1851 and 1861 for Evans at Fountain Row) and was probably a live in servant. Lots of good story material from this - shades of Upstairs and Downstairs and Downton Abbey)!

Carole

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 September 13 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The marriage cert only gives father's name and occupation - they do not give mother's names
As I said there are more options for Mary Evans with father David but  mothers names different to Lettice

I am only putting questions to you as I know how easy it is to follow an incorrect line and then your research all has to be altered -I am trying to save that happening.

My personal opinion is that Mary was just plain Mary - no middle (or 3rd) names appear on marriage or census after marriage.
I don't think she was b. Monkton - all entries (after marriage) give p.o.b. as Haverfordwest
Possibly you have the correct parents - but y.o.b. of Mary differs on some census - it was to be hoped witnesses at the marriage were relations -but from the names given it doesn't seem to be .
I will have a look further and see if I can give more possibilities

It was quite the "norm" for girls to go into service -some from as young as 11 years- some went as "farm servants" some to shopkeepers , some to mining families who had a lot of children , some went to "big" houses and progressed to Housemaid, parlour maid etc

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 September 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

Today's research led me to a Mary Evans visiting the Black Horse Inn, Haverforwest (on the site of the old Dominican Friary) on census for 1861. Could be. That might explain why and how she met George Robinson, Railway man from East Croydon Station, England. That would make a good story, even if not backed up by facts!

Carole

1859  census Mary was married to George Robinson and at the time of the 1861 census they were living at St James Rd Croydon Surrey so don't think she would be visiting a pub and using her maiden name???

Suz

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 September 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
I'm with you on her name, Suz. Unless she shows with extra names on birth certs of the children, she looks to be plain Mary. 

There was a Mary Evans, daughter of David & Lettice of Shut Street, father a labourer, baptised at St Mary's, Haverfordwest 24/5/1833. There is no date of birth shown on the baptism.

The only other Mary, daughter of David, baptised in Haverfordwest around that time, was at St Martin's, 23/3/1837, but that David was a weaver. There may be other Marys, daughter of David, who weren't baptised in the established church.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb