Author Topic: Thomas Welch-born 10th April 1806-Drayton In Hales, Shropshire. Advice Needed.  (Read 1597 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I could do with a bit of advice please in regards to a Thomas Welch born 1806 in Drayton In Hales in 1806. Lots of other trees that have followed this line have said his father was George Welch who came from Buriton, Hants. This is different to what I have found when I have looked at the Shropshire Parish Records and it clearly says William and Mary. The next dilemma is that they say Thomas Welch married a Martha Rider in Buriton, Hants in 1826 but this Martha Rider born around 1803 and supposedly born in Woore, Shropshire does not seem to exist. There is a Thomas Welch marrying a Martha Boughey around 1829 in Staffordshire and I found a baptism record for this Martha Boughey(1803) in Woore, Shropshire and her father I believe is Samuel. There seems to be this link to Buriton, Hants and I cannot see it at all.

Any advice would be very appreciated before I go any further.
Thank you.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Welch-born 10th April 1806-Drayton In Hales, Shropshire. Advice Needed.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
Only one piece of advise to start - Dont use online trees as a source!

If you have seen his christening entry in the parish register, then you have done the research. Who knows where the online trees got the info (pure guesswork maybe) so unless they can back it up just ignore them.

Is the date you have a christening or birth date?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Welch-born 10th April 1806-Drayton In Hales, Shropshire. Advice Needed.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thomas's baptism record is 16th March 1808 at Drayton In Hales, and on that is his birth date also son of William and Mary. I suppose I was wary as so many other trees say he is the son of George Welch and Mary Compton of Buriton, Hants but I will go with my instincts and follow what the parish records tell me and see what happens. Thank you for that bit of reassurance.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
The reason that there are "so many other trees" with particular information could well be that people have just blindly copied it, without doing any research at all to see if the info is correct or not.
This can be seen time and time again .
There are lots of threads on here referring to that practice, and advising people always to check info themselves, and not to think it is more likely to be correct just because lots of people have stated it on their trees.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 14 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that reassurance. Even after all this time I always worry a bit when I go that far back but the parish records say it as it is so I will go with it.
Kind Regards and Thank you again.