Author Topic: Clifton births/baptisms  (Read 5146 times)

Offline javajune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Clifton births/baptisms
« on: Thursday 13 July 06 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all:

It looks as if I have taken on an impossible task!  I need to find births which occurred in Clifden, Galway, between 1850 and 1859.  An index would be fine then I could decide which birth certificate I need to order.   I would rather find the indexes than order a birth certificate directly as it would cost about $90.00 Canadian, plus search fees.  This I find to be exorbitant - well beyond my purse.

Needless to say, I have been searching Irish sites for several weeks now.  It looks as if I am out of luck unless someone out there has an answer.

Any suggestions, please.  June
BURT, ELPHICK, FIGG, GALE, GOODCHILD, HARVEY, HAYDEN, LAKER, MAJOR, PETERS, ROACH, WEST, LANGRIDGE, WILKINSON

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Clifton births/baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 08 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi June,

I've looked at your posts and unless I missed something this post seems to be the only relating to Clifden, Galway. Who are the ancestors from this area, when where they born and what denomination were they? You may have to go the Church registers route as Civil registration of all BDMs was not introduced into Ireland until 1864. If the family were non Catholics there may be marriage records as these started in 1845.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 08 08:27 GMT (UK) »
LDS has lots of records in their catalogue for church records of Clifden in Co. Galway which can be ordered from your local LDS library for a small fee to view there.
Church of Ireland baptisms 1822-1983, also marriages and burials
Catholic baptisms 1856-1924 and other records on several films.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline javajune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher:

Thank you for your message and, in response thereto, here are a few details about the family:

William COLLES married Jane PHEPOE in Dublin.   They moved to Ferry Hill, Clifden, with three children and appeared in Slaters there in 1849. I am convinced that they moved to Clifden in 1848/49 as I cannot see them in Slaters before 1849. 

Three more children were born in Clifden;  Elizabeth  Richard Katherine COLLES in 1850, Edward Gillespie Taylor COLLES 1851 and George Beresford COLLES 1854.

In about 1859 they all emmigrated from Clifden to Montreal, Canada.

They were Protestant.

Christopher, does this help?
June

BURT, ELPHICK, FIGG, GALE, GOODCHILD, HARVEY, HAYDEN, LAKER, MAJOR, PETERS, ROACH, WEST, LANGRIDGE, WILKINSON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 18:32 GMT (UK) »
June, if the family were Church of Ireland the LDS library has church records which should cover the period the family lived in Clifden (see post from yesterday).

Offline javajune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey:

Sorry, did not have enough time earlier this morning  to answer your response.

Unfortunately, the LDS church is a long and difficult way away (I cannot get there from here)!

Thank you for your suggestion.  IF I can get transportation, I will certainly explore the Church of Ireland baptism records 1822 - 1923.  More than likely, I will find them there.

June

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 18:52 GMT (UK) »
If you can't get to the LDS library you might try writing a letter to the church (as at least there do seem to be records) and ask the location of the records (local custody, etc.) and would they be able to look up the details you need. Many clergymen do not even answer letters but if you offer to make payment for the services, explain you live far away, etc. you might be in luck.
Other idea is to see if anyone on Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness would check the records for you.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
Why do people have to go to RAOGK ??? Are there no kind RootsChatters ???

Offline moggymorgan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just joined Rootschat and saw your listing - and understand completely your frustration.
I checked on LDS site and came up with no matches for any of the children's names.  I also checked on Ancestry and there is a tree that has your family members in it.  Unfortunately, there are no dates or specific birth places given other than Ireland.

Sorry hope your luck has improved and you have managed to make some headway.
Morgan - Hopkins - Williams - Glamorgan Wales:
Hughes - Hurst- Cassidy - Southern Ireland