Author Topic: Help please  (Read 5220 times)

Offline lynda c

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please
« on: Wednesday 28 July 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help .I am looking for the parents of James William Conniss dob c1886  born in Gallway he died in 1918 and i have some military records for him that shows his sister as next of kin . I have asked for help before and have got it  Thanks to all who have helped but I just keep getting stuck on this side of the family .
Thankyou Lynda

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 July 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, can i ask what makes you think they were from Galway?
His sister is in Limerick. one uncle is in Glasgow, one uncle in Galway and three brothers all over England.
I checked on this site but no one with that surname came up on any records for any part of Ireland not just Galway? http://www.rootsireland.ie/
The same for the 1901 & 1911 site, which is strange? http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ But if you pus the surname like this in the search engine you get all the variations of it CON****
 Also why did they exhume his body and rebury it in Saint Aubert British Cemetery
Nord-Pas-de-Calais Region, France?

Soldiers who died in the great war have him enlisted in Hamilton, Resident Limerick & born Galway, but i didn't see this on his service papers? Must have misted it?

Ireland are putting on line  all birth later this year i think?

Migky  ;)

Offline lynda c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi MIGKY
thankyou for looking, this part of the family are proving very difficult to find .The only information I have about them is from Military records and what other people have found for me on roots I did not know that they had exhumed his body. The only people I know with the surname Conniss is family ( my husbands family) Grandfather never spoke about his family and we did not have any idea he had Brothers or a Sister .I started to look at the possibility they came from Ireland because it was mentioned on James Military records . As you can see I am stabbing in the dark . I have found Grandfather Edward Albert Johnston Conniss dob 1883 marriage to Isabell Barr Greenwood dob 1877 in Murikirk Scotland in 1909 his father name  ---- William Conniss, mother ---- Gavin both diseased I have looked for them in Scotland have found nothing . You would think with a name so rare you would be able to find them easily but  no such look .
Thankyou again Lynda

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
LOOK  :o

Migky  ;)

Offline lynda c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 August 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Thankyou
Lynda

Offline marzipan

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 October 10 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda C and Mr.Migky,  Just found your posts. I have been in touch with you Lynda about my Connis's. I think the problem in finding them is the varients in the name spelling: I have them under Coneys, Cannis, Conniss,Conis,Cunnis and my Grandfather Samuel Connis.  ::)
Mr.MIGKY could you please tell me more about the Connis's you found. I am hoping to find a marriage cert. for my GGGrandparents Samuel Coneys b.1821 Galway and Jane Best b1825 Derry. I dont Know if they were married in Ire. I have them on Glasgow census 1851....then St. Lukes, London with family 1861....then back to Glasgow with 8 children, including my GGrandfather on the 1871 census. Someone told me Thomas Coneys came to Ire. with Cromwell and was given a piece of land in leiu of wages in Connemara,his grandson was my Samuel Coneys {GGGrandfather}but after telling me this I was'nt able to connect with them again and being fairly new to  geneaology have no idea how they got this info. Apparantly  there are Coneys's still living in Clifden, Galway. My GGrandfather Samuel Connis was born in Glasgow 1854 and my Grandfather also Samuel Connis was born in Paisley, Scotland in 1884. If any of you can help me with these Connis's I would be truly grateful........Marzipan  :)   :)                   
Please contact support for help with your password, we are unable to send a new one because we only have an old email address for you.

Offline lynda c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Marzipan , I have looked a little further into our Conniss/Coneys family and our family meets with Samuel Coneys. He was my Husbands 2nd g grandfather . I have been looking in the wrong place for g grandfather David. I was so sure he was born in Ireland. Samuel and Jane spent time going from Ireland and then back to Scotland during their marriage I found them in Scotland in 1853 then back in Galway in 1856 . I do not know if they where married in Ireland or Scotland . I am sure I will stumble across this eventually as I have the rest of the information they are a hard lot to find .
I have e`mailed you with this information before and as i have not heard from you I will assume you did not get it . When I find out more I will let you know .
Regards Lynda